How to wire up fluorescent lamp's

You need the right starters for series connected tubes, like these:

Starter1.jpg

[/img]

Sponsored Links
Spark123 said:
IIRC, this is how the two tube variety are connected, please note the tubes are in series, not in parallel as you have drawn.
Seriesfluoro.JPG

This is how I always see them wired......when fault finding inside illuminated signs. These signs often have a dozen lamps, with 6 ballasts. I therefore come to the conclusion that two is the maximum. Would be interesting to know if 3 or more could be started...........Just be careful :LOL:

When I was younger, I didn't see the need for the choke, and shorted it out. Turned on, and the flourescent tube exploded :oops: Soon made me realise what the choke was for!

how are the ceiling cassette type lamps wired then? with 4 tubes in a row, that all start together, and all die together . . . ?

Sponsored Links
Hi, thanks for all the kind replies.

I should get my light holders on thursday so when all the parts arrive i'll wire them up and see what happens.

Im looking forward to this and il let you know what happened, if you dont hear from me... then you'll know it didnt work and i've blown up. lol!!!!

:LOL:

EDIT: i've seen alot of people using "Electronic Ballast's" maybe those will work, i know a guy that has powered 16 Tubes (1024W) with only 4 electronic ballasts (i have a link, but its not what you think *cough*)

crafty1289 said:
how are the ceiling cassette type lamps wired then? with 4 tubes in a row, that all start together, and all die together . . . ?

Assume you mean false ceiling types?

The 600x600 types have 4 x 2 foot tubes, and 2 ballasts. They use series starters.

The 1200x600 types have 4 x 4 foot tubes, and 4 ballasts. They use universal starters.

Unless of course it is a 2 or 3 tube version, or a high frequency type with electronic ballasts.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back