How to wire up fluorescent lamp's

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello there, can someone please help me out with these fluorescent light.

ok i have a 100W-125W Tridonic Choke/Ballast
ball8jq.jpg

Can I use this to power x5 20W tubes?

I've also got a 7.2 Capacitor and 2FT 20W philip tubes.

I dont know how to wire these up, i have a basic idea, but im not 100% sure. I do know if i need a starter either.

I have 2 core 0.5MM wire (blue & brown)
Can someone please tell or draw me a diagram where the wire goes?

Thanks for any advice, dave.

Sponsored Links
No, I dont think it will work. I have never seen a single ballast with more than two tubes on it, and iirc these require a special starter for each tube.

I explained to the guy at the electric shop that i needed to power x5 20W lamps and he recommended me this ballast.

I dont know, anyone know????

:p

You will need 2 ballasts, one per lamp, and you wire them as per the schmatic on the choke - the switch represents the starter.
Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
thanks, i dont know why the guy at the shop recommended that, i woulda thought a 125w ballast could split the power into 5 outputs (25w x 5)... are you absolutly certain it wont work?

I cant really afford to buy 5 control gear's, cant i just split 10 wires from the ballast and wire them into the light holders?

Sorry im such a noob ! lol

Thanks for all the help guys

Dave9 said:
thanks, i dont know why the guy at the shop recommended that, i woulda thought a 125w ballast could split the power into 5 outputs (25w x 5)... are you absolutly certain it wont work?
Not absolutely certain, but pretty sure. I have only ever seen max of 2 tubes seriesed together with one ballast.
I cant really afford to buy 5 control gear's, cant i just split 10 wires from the ballast and wire them into the light holders?
Please post a wiring diagram. See://www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8463 for how to post a picture.

hi spark, ok i made a diagram to which i think is correct, not sure if its right.

Here it goes...

theory7pa.jpg

Thanks
Dave9

it might work but there may be problems the question is would the ballest be able to deliver the needed shocks to start more lamps whilst at the same time running a lamp thats already active.

also with one lamp started it may drag the voltage down too low for the other starters to work.

plugwash said:
it might work but there may be problems the question is would the ballest be able to deliver the needed shocks to start more lamps whilst at the same time running a lamp thats already active.

also with one lamp started it may drag the voltage down too low for the other starters to work.

I see, ok cool.
So what your saying is "get rich or die trying" kinda thing? :LOL:

lol

ha only kidding, so i could just try it and see if it will work, if it does work does that mean it will carrying on working or will degrade itself and eventually short out?

Appreciate the advice
Dave

EDIT: plugwash: couldnt i use a capacitor to deliver more shock, if im not mistaken and sombody please correct me if im wrong... but isn't a capacitor like a "electricity boost" for that extra kick?

Dont think that would work, for reasons said by pluggy.

I know you can series two tubes , and use two series starters. I wonder if you could series more??

Lectrician said:
Dont think that would work, for reasons said by pluggy.

I know you can series two tubes , and use two series starters. I wonder if you could series more??

yeh, im just gonna wire them up and see what happens... il let you know !

:D

It won't work.

Only one tube will strike and that will take much more current than it's rated for. Once a tube strikes, it acts like a negative resistance, with the voltage over the tube falling as the current increases. The current is limited by the choke.

By all means play with it, but take precautions. It's possible that something might explode.

IIRC, this is how the two tube variety are connected, please note the tubes are in series, not in parallel as you have drawn.
Seriesfluoro.JPG

Dave9 said:
I explained to the guy at the electric shop that i needed to power x5 20W lamps and he recommended me this ballast.
Strange - according to madfunkymonkey the people who work behind counters are the greatest electrical experts the world has ever seen...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back