Circulating Pump stops when Burner stops.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi out there, I'm new to this forum application and not sure how it will work but here goes. My central heating is a normal 1980's open vented setup with a wall hung boiler in the kitchen, 7 day programmer with separate HW and CH on/off controls below it, a hot water tank , three port valve and circulating pump in the airing cupboard at the top of the stairs, there is a thermostat on the H/W tank, and a room stat in the hall. I found the stat in the hall has been disconnected at some point and the wires have been cut back to the plaster. I now want to install a RF wireless stat to control my CH from a room that gets warm and where we actually spend some time, while trying to work out how to connect the new stat, I found that the wiring has been altered and the circulating pump mimics exactly the burner on/off cycle, ie it never runs unless the burner is on, is this right? I thought it should run on circulating the water until it cools, then the stat should call for the burner for heat etc etc. I have looked up on the interweb and the wiring appears to be a "Y Plan" without a room stat if that helps. :?:

Sponsored Links
My own 1980's boiler didn't actually have an overrun timer built in so it wouldn't have been very easy to arrange for the pump to continue after the heating demand was satisfied. The boiler had a very substantial heavy duty heat exchanger and wasn't in any danger of overheating or being damaged as a result of this.

Do you still have an installation manual with a wiring diagram for the boiler?

a boiler make would be helpful, if it is a 80's boiler it will probably not require a pump over-run, the pump stops with the boiler as it is supposed to.

Nothing unusual in the boiler and pump stopping at the same time. They are both driven by the same output from the controls.

For some setups the controls drive the boiler only, and the boiler controls the pump, so the pump can disperse the residual heat from the boiler after it has shut down but it is really only necessary in low water content boilers. older boilers hold more water, and the residual heat isn't a problem to them.

By not dispersing the residual heat, the water in the boiler stays hotter for longer, making it quicker to respond the next time the thermostat calls for heat.

Sponsored Links
Hi out there, I'm new to this forum application and not sure how it will work but here goes. My central heating is a normal 1980's open vented setup with a wall hung boiler in the kitchen, 7 day programmer with separate HW and CH on/off controls below it, a hot water tank , three port valve and circulating pump in the airing cupboard at the top of the stairs, there is a thermostat on the H/W tank, and a room stat in the hall. I found the stat in the hall has been disconnected at some point and the wires have been cut back to the plaster. I now want to install a RF wireless stat to control my CH from a room that gets warm and where we actually spend some time, while trying to work out how to connect the new stat, I found that the wiring has been altered and the circulating pump mimics exactly the burner on/off cycle, ie it never runs unless the burner is on, is this right? I thought it should run on circulating the water until it cools, then the stat should call for the burner for heat etc etc. I have looked up on the interweb and the wiring appears to be a "Y Plan" without a room stat if that helps. :?:
Sorry the Boiler is a BAXI WL170 and as it happens I have checked with a neighbour who's system is the same ie pump and burner stop together, his room stat is fully functional you guys were all correct in the way it operates so I'm going to copy his connections and hope it all works out Thanks for all the replies. We laymen can get into a panic over nothing at times.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back