Cistern condensation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it normal for condensation to appear on a toilet cistern. There is also water on the bottom of of cistern that drips occasionally.Thanks for any help in advance

MOD

moved as posted in wrong forum

Sponsored Links
You could have searched the forum, been on before.

Cold water comes out of ground into cistern, warm damp air passes by, water condenses. Keep taking the tablets.

Next?

Although you can get cistern inlet heaters to eradicate this "problem"

Sponsored Links
I'll try and dig out the link, it's an American thing, basically it preheats the water inlet temp so that condensation does not occur, yes I think it's a bit ridculous, but I'll try and find it nontheless :LOL:

My Mum must have one already - always saying she gets hot flushes

Ooooh, I feel I'm on to a bad one here, makes practical sense, ...... Oh leave it, i'll look in to it alright :?:

I'll try and dig out the link, it's an American thing, basically it preheats the water inlet temp so that condensation does not occur, yes I think it's a bit ridculous, but I'll try and find it nontheless
Seems like a recipe for bacterial growth contaminating the water unless it has a double check valve at the inlet.

Best way is to increase the ventilation in the area that the cistern is fitted thus removing the warm moist air. Open windows and or fit an extractor.
De-humidifiers can help but are a more expensive option and not always appropriate in cases like this.

When your cistern fills up with cold water it brings the surface temperature to below the dewpoint of the surrounding air. The cooled moist air reaches its saturation point (the air simply cant hold the water any more) and forms in droplets on the cistern surface.

Things like cooking, washing, drying clothes with an unvented dryer or on radiators, taking a bath or shower all put moisture into the air and increase the requirement for ventilation. Normal household activities produce over a gallon of moisture every day in a normal household. It's got to go somewhere!

You may never stop it completely because that is the nature of the beast, but taking steps to reduce or expel the humidity will at least bring an improvement.

We suffer from this problem, so I have decided to put in a concealed cistern and to insulate it with polystyrene beads. Only problem I can see is when some maintenance is required, it will be a bit like the lucky dip :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back