cistern confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I'm almost a complete newbie to this plumbing lark, but I'm trying to help out a friend.

The toilet is not flushing properly at first, but if the flush handle is quickly pumped 4 to 5 consecutive times, the toilet will then take over and flush as normal.

I have been reading plumbing & DIY tutorials online, but am becoming further confused as to the cause of this problem.

From what I have read, I believe that it is the "Flap Valve" that is causing the problem, but am not certain.

Can someone please tell me if this is correct, and also how to replace it. Can I get to it without dimantling the entire cistern ?

Thanks in advance for any assistance you can offer me.

Sponsored Links
You don't have a flap valve, you have a traditional UK siphon.

The fault is in the diaphragm washer inside the siphon assembly - it's split, or puckered, or worn, or some combination of all three.

If you're lucky you have the kind of siphon assembly that you can dismantle and service without entirely removing it from the cistern, if you're not then you'll have to isolate the supply, drain the cistern, then remove the siphon (which would involve removing the cistern if it's close-coupled).

Thanks Softus !

You see People !

That's exactly why I joined this Forum. Without it, I'd be trying to complete a job that I couldn't do - but thinking that I knew how to, and at the same time, completely screwing it up!

Well, thanks for clarifying that one for me.

In hardly any time too :)

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back