cistern connector leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I have a concealed type plastic cistern in the toilet which has a water inlet connector pipe down to the toilet bowl. As the cistern is boxed in its tricky to get to it easily but I'd like to fix a very slow drip.

The cistern is old and is a lever flush type, a Polypipe hideaway. When you push the lever down the flush valve inside the cistern moves to one side a bit, as does the connector pipe (rigid plastic) between the bottom of the cistern and the toilet bowl. The plastic cistern itself seems to be fixed to the wall ok and doesn't move. I'm supposing over time this movement has degraded or loosened (hopefully) the connection just under the cistern. I've had a feel around and it seems to have a large plastic nut affair and it occasionally does feel a bit moist around it.

I'm not sure how the pipe joins to the cistern, is it something that can be simply tightened up a bit if I can get to it? Is that the best first option?

I'm hoping its a simple fix as the replacement cistern seems to be hard to find.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
is it something that can be simply tightened up a bit if I can get to it? Is that the best first option?
There will be a nut on the top of the tail of the flush valve which holds the valve in place in the cistern and there will be a nut at the end of the flush valve tail which, along with a washer, holds and seals the pipe which takes water to the toilet pan.

Tightening them should be your first course of action, IMO.

Thanks Charnwood, I thought so and will give it a go tomorrow, if I can get to it of course! Very tightly boxed in.

Cheers

Me again, didn't have a chance to have a go at fixing it today, but got a mirror in there and took a photo as well. Looks like its been a problem for a while what with the buildup where its seeped down the pipe.
I guess the uppermost nut needs tightening but it seems the occasional leak is coming from the lower connection, where the flush pipe is attached. If I tighten this and sorts it all well and good. If it doesn't is there a seal in that nut connection that I might be able to replace?

http://i518.photobucket.com/albums/u342/biker999/cisternnut.jpg

Cheers again

Sponsored Links
is there a seal in that nut connection that I might be able to replace?
It's called a Tapered Sealing Ring. They are made of plastic and really should neverneed replacing. Most merchants should be able to supply you eith one. It will probably be 11/2", maybe 2". (They are available 11/4" and 11/2" and 2". The 11/4" are usually for high level cisterns.)
View media item 41813

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back