Cistern conversion (Fluidmaster)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had been having problems with our cisterns not flushing properly. I had to 'pump' the handle quite a few times to get the thing to flush. I changed the syphon unit on all 3 of our toilets (which i purchased form a well renoun plumbers merchant) After a few months I had the same problem. I changed the diaphragm on all 3 as the 'well renoun plumbers merchant' said they had a 'dodgy' batch in and that the diaphragm on a few were faulty and this cured the problem for a few weeks.
If you have ever changed a syphon unit in a cistern then you will know its not the best job to do especially when you have to keep taking the thing apart to change a diaphragm.
Then I had the same problem! So off I went to the local B & Q and saw a Fluidmaster Conversion kit that would replace all the old stuff in the cistern. It also replaces the handle on the cistern with a push button. I was a bit sceptible about it but after reading the packet I thought i'd give it a go.
I got to work on the 1st cistern. Removed the cistern and the valve and syphon. I did have a problem with fitting the button. The hole on the front on the cistern was a small round hole and the button was a larger square type. So I 'squared' the hole using a tile file which gave it a nice tight fit. I also had to file off the 'holding bracket' at the top so that it matched the contour of the cistern lid. Lastly I filed a small amount away from the lid so that it sat down flat on the cistern. All of the adjustments were only minor so that should the need be to revert to the old type of syphon and valve system it couyld still be done. The rest of the fitting was easy and straight forward. Once all fitted it flushed beautifully. Quite fill and a good flush. Also there was plenty of room in the cistern to fit some water savers if necessary. However, the 'flap' inside can be manually adjusted to change the amount of water used for a flush. you just have to turn it to adjust - really easy.
Downside? As my cistern handle hole was slightly on the rounded part of the cistern the large button does not fit completly flush. but you have to look pretty close up to see a gap.
All in all, they work fantastic and the children can use them easily aswell.
Just remember to purchase a cistern to pan seal as this is not part of the kit even though it mentions a 'cistern seal included'

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back