Cistern Fill Valve - location of black rubber washer

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The pic below shows the bottom of a fill valve which is to be located within a toilet cistern.

The conical shaped black rubber section at the top of the pic would be within the cistern, and I'm fairly sure from the white plastic washer down would go on the outside of the cistern.

Does the flat black rubber washer marked with a red arrow go on the inside or outside of the cistern? It's not clear from the instructions.

Thanks.

upload_2017-7-21_16-43-0.png

Sponsored Links
If you have a blank for the other side then the threaded part of that needs to go on the outside of the cistern. I learnt that one the hard way!!

Sponsored Links
If you have a blank for the other side then the threaded part of that needs to go on the outside of the cistern. I learnt that one the hard way!!
The parts pictured are the only ones I have for it. I hadn't unscrewed any of the parts when I took the photo - that's the way it was sent from the manufacturer.

The type of cistern will depend upon which type seal to be used.
If a porcelain cistern use the conical seal , if a thin plastic cistern then use the flat one.
The plastic washer should be used between back nut and cistern , disregard the rubber seal not used.

If a porcelain cistern use the conical seal , if a thin plastic cistern then use the flat one.
The plastic washer should be used between back nut and cistern , disregard the rubber seal not used.
I'm not saying this is not correct, though the fill valve pictured is that which was supplied by the cistern manufacturer to be fitted to this cistern. So I would have thought they would no include an incorrect rubber washer for another type of cistern.

It's a porcelain type cistern.

I'm not saying this is not correct, though the fill valve pictured is that which was supplied by the cistern manufacturer to be fitted to this cistern. So I would have thought they would not include an incorrect rubber washer for another type of cistern.

It's a porcelain type cistern.

Steelmasons is correct :)

Possom,remember you have purchased a kit of parts often manufactured by different companies in different countries with varying quality and compatibility issues.

The fill valve and other parts are often supplied as universal parts and your picture of the fill valve shank with the various washers in position has zero correlation on installation.

Looks like your wc kit is an internet or a diy shed purchased bundle,buying a bare cistern/pan and adding a quality fill valve and a quality syphon from a local plumbing merchant could cost a little more but its worth it.

Good luck :!:

Indeed... on a thin plastic cistern casing, the cone washer would place a point load and deform the plastic around the aperture, possibly even splitting it if it was old and brittle. At the same time, the thin plastic would cut into the cone rubber.

Looks like your wc kit is an internet or a diy shed purchased bundle,buying a bare cistern/pan and adding a quality fill valve and a quality syphon from a local plumbing merchant could cost a little more but its worth it.
Thanks very much for the clarification.

Yes, the fill valve and the syphon certainly don't feel of good quality, and neither does the dual push button on top of the cistern.

Though the quality of the cistern/pan is good.

I hadn't thought about getting a different syphon and fill valve. I'll look into getting a better quality parts. Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back