Cistern lock nut assembly size request

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Last week i had a new toilet & cistern installed but i do not like the handle/flush setup within the cistern.
I think you call it the flapper system where there is a plastic chain which allows the water to enter the toilet once the handle is operated.
I have noticed that the hole in the cistern of which the handle shaft passes through to the other side is square ?
I have bought a ceramic handle with the square bar setup up BUT the threaed section that you affix through the cistern itself is a little to big.
Can you advise if this part can be bought in different sizes so it will then pass through the original square hole.
Long winded request but no sure how else to expolain it.

Sponsored Links
Some cisterns did use a smaller than average fitting, but I can't remember which.

If you just need to lose a couple of millimetres you could try filing flats on the fitting you have. If the full thread depth remains on the corners, you will still be able to screw the backnut on, but with four flats on the thread it will need careful assembly to avoid cross-threading the nut.

Hi,do you know the name of the threaded part that i am looking for so i can search,trying to also explain to somebody over the phone can also be fun.

Sponsored Links
I need to buy a smaller threaded section to pass through the cistern,i dont need to pack it as its not smaller its larger.

Go to your local plumbers merchant and ask for an ideal standard toilet handle, bring your one with you and you will see that they are thinner.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back