Cistern problem - won't refilll

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

In the last few days I've noticed that my cistern is not filling up as quickly as always. It can take 1 hour+ to fill. There is only a trickle of water coming in.

I have attached pictures of the type of cistern/part, it is.

//www.diynot.com/network/TroubledCistern1/albums/

Would anyone have an idea why it is so slow to fill all of a sudden?
I've poked around with the plastic sleeve/tube at the inlet, behind the float, but this was not the solution!
There doesn't seem to be that much pressure (although it is hard top tell), but the other toilet is filling fine (on same floor). And the components in the faulty loo don't seem to be visibly damaged or different to the working loo.
I'm not sure so if it is a pressure problem or if there is something wrong with the plastic see through perforated tube. In fact, very little water is coming out of this, it is mainly just dribbling down the side of the white inlet tube connected to it.

I would be very grateful if somebody could offer some suggestions.

Thanks

Dave

Sponsored Links
That's a torbeck water inlet valve. You need to isolate water to cistern or turn mains off and undo the big blue nut that houses the diaphragm washer(black rubber with white plastic in the middle about the size of a fifty pence piece). It may just be grit blocking the flow, you'll know one washer is removed. Once removed if you can turn water back on where water enters cistern you will know if there's a good flow. It may be worthwhile replacing diaphragm washer anyway as they can stick over time. Failing that replace inlet valve or what would've been called a ball cock.

Hi

Thanks a million for the reply.
My trouble now is that I don't know where to switch off the mains water to the cistern. Since I can't find any valve in the hot press (I added a second post asking about this), would the valve be in the attic or on the road.
I live in an end of terrace house. If I find and switch off the mains, will it affect other houses?

The fact that it's dribbling down the side of the white plastic piece indicates that there is pressure, so I reckon you're spot on with the grit theory.

Anyway, if you could please let me know where to look for the cistern valve/mains, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks again.

Should be a valve below the cistern on the inlet to the ball valve. If not turn off at the mains, it shouldn't affect other houses in the block.

Sponsored Links
If you have a cold water tank in the loft, the cistern is probably supplied from that. You may (should) find a service valve on the pipe(s) that come out of the bottom of the tank.

If the cold taps in the bathroom near the miscreant cistern have such high pressure that it is difficult for you to stop it with your thumb, it probably comes straight off the mains supply, and you will probably have to turn off the main stopcock, which might be in a corner of the kitchen near the floor, or might be in the front garden near where the front gate used to be, or might be in the pavement outside your house.

Hi All

Thanks for the replies and apologies I didn't thank you sooner. Have not had a chance to get near a PC.
Only got to investigate this problem earlier today (a week later!).
Guy in B&Q recommended that I take a ball washer/diaphraghm and try that. Seemed to be the right thing for the job until I took the Torbeck inlet valve apart and saw (as mentioned by a replier above) that it was a a specific type of of component I need. The rubber washer (although the correct size) I bought did not have a hole in it so there was nothing to stop the float from stopping the water from pouring in.

Anyway, I noticed that the water is dribbling in (pressure turned out to be okay) via the tiny hole beside the float (where it shouldn't I assume) and not through the clear plastic tube.

None of the plastic components seem to be too worn etc, so my question is can I just but the few small components from say the filter washer (with mesh) outwards towards the float, as I am sure the problem just arises somewhere in here. In fact, I also noticed there is a hole in the mesh also, although I'm not sure if this is causing the water to flow out through where the water should be cut off by the float when it levels out horizontally.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. I would love to be just able to replace a few of the components I mentioned and not the whole inlet tubing/mechanism as I'm not great with my hands!

Thanks again

D.

The numbnuts in B&Q gave you a Pt2/Pt3 diaphragm washer by the sound of it.

Replace the valve as suggested. I recommend a Fluidmaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back