Cistern slow drip and filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, we had our fill valve changed a while ago and replaces with a Fluidmaster which I was told was the bee's knees. Unfortunately although it used to fill slightly every now and then, it's now almost constantly slightly dripping and then refilling about every 30 seconds.

Is this something I can easily adjust?

Sponsored Links
Try turning the thin plastic screw that connects the valve top to the float....this gives more pressure to keep the valve closed.
If you lift the float up manually, can you stop the flow?
John :)

I've tried turning this screw but it doesn't seem to turn and just jumps

Attachments

• PXL_20211220_110151249.jpg
    PXL_20211220_110151249.jpg
    187.9 KB · Views: 87
Odd.

They are normally very good. I wonder if it was fitted correctly.

Make sure the float moves freely. They can be installed a bit twisted which stops them lifting properly.
Make sure the arm/screw is full home in its holder.

If it continues, then you could look at the stop seal. Its a small rubber washer which may be faulty, damaged or dirty.

Every DIY store will sell them. They are cheap and very easy to replace.

Check YouTube.

Flush the toilet and watch what happens. You will see how they work or not.

You could also have a leak on the toilet. There isn't any water around the bolts or spigot on the bottom?

This isn't overflowing either i take it?

Best of luck.

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the toilet pan for any seeping water?

Ok after some fighting and adjustment I think I may have fixed it. It's just taken about 20mins before it did a little fill which is what it was like before

Ok after some fighting and adjustment I think I may have fixed it. It's just taken about 20mins before it did a little fill which is what it was like before

The way these work is silent. The fill from under the water line, slowly filling the cistern until the float rises and "tips" closed.

If the fill time is slow, thats water pressure. You might have a valve on the pipe inlet you can open a little.

If its is a screwdriver valve, and the - is inline with the pipe then your valve is fully open.

Ok so it seems I spoke too soon and it's back to around every couple of minutes again.

The way these work is silent. The fill from under the water line, slowly filling the cistern until the float rises and "tips" closed.

If the fill time is slow, thats water pressure. You might have a valve on the pipe inlet you can open a little.

If its is a screwdriver valve, and the - is inline with the pipe then your valve is fully open.

It is a screwdriver valve and I think it was at around 11 o'clock originally although I possibly altered it slightly when turning it off and it's still filling the same amount albeit a bit noisier.

So you think I should open it some more so it's point at 12 o'clock? It does seem to be filling ok, just this little bit of drip and refill every couple of minutes.

If it continues, then you could look at the stop seal. Its a small rubber washer which may be faulty, damaged or dirty

Sorry where would this seal be, on the base? Nothing leaking around the toilet itself.

Ok thank you and I did find that last night after posting. Also another post on Fluidmaster website about ghost flushing and the flapper. Oddly it seems better so far today for no particular reason

I checked through the video and it doesn't seem to be leaking as the video shows.

I'm not sure if there's an issue where it connects to the bottom of the cistern, I swear when I checked yesterday it moved down. I couldn't see anything dribbling into the pan apart from tiny bubbles so must be something, although that's now stopped.

I can't seem to get the adjustment rod to do anything, turning the screw just seems to jump as I've seen posts about the rod and the overflow but I don't seem to have an overflow.

Oddly it's been mostly quiet most the day, now tonight it's back to every minute or so. I don't understand how the frequency can change so much.

Last edited:
So after getting frustrated I had guy we use come and look at it yesterday. He found the seal on the main point into the cistern wasn't great so he replaced it and then found some silicone had got in there potentially stopping the seal. This was on the main central unit in the picture and not the Fluidmaster bit on the left.

It behaved all night, then this morning it was hourly, now back more frequent again. I've read some posts about the fill rod on the Fluidmaster section shouldn't be below the water level. Would this be the rod with the cross thread on the top in the picture? Ours is quite below the water level.

Attachments

• PXL_20220119_170317017.jpg
    PXL_20220119_170317017.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 44

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back