cistern won't stop filling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi

the cistern when flushed fills up as normal but continues to fill, and overflows via the pipe in the middle of the cistern into the toilet/pan i've taken a picture and would appreciate advice on how to fix it and or identify what type it is as I've tried googling it and there seems so many diff ones- and this is gonna sound so strange- the only way to stop it filling is to turn the wash basin tap (next to it) on for a few seconds and this stops it!

thanks
jo

Attachments

• 20160602_084955.jpg
    20160602_084955.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 409
Sponsored Links
We are gonna need some better photos, preferably showing the bits in the cistern side on with the cistern empty (if possible)

thanks will try again after work but i doubt it as the whole thing is only accessible from the top and i don't want to try an take it out until i know more about it as i'd prob make a hames of putting it back in again

regards

hi
tried again to photo but no chance as i can only look down into it- tried from side but no space and dark
thanks

Sponsored Links
By opening the cold water tap you reduce the pressure on the cistern valve so don`t see how adjusting the water level will accomplish anything.

Looks like a fluidmaster inlet valve. Get a new diaphragm washer for it from b and q for about three quid.

Fill valve could be anything, it would be a lot safer just to change the whole thing as the OP does not sound to confident on diy.

thank you apologies late reply, i think changing whole thing is easier for me, i've just managed today to get the company to send me spec for the actual flushing valve/mechanism, it only took 3 weeks, earlier they just sent me how to fix it to the wall! so i'll have a look at that over the weekend
keep you posted
cheers
jo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back