Cistern

O

oompah

Morning all, the problem i have is how to remove the cistern from the pan the bolts connecting it are rusty(theres a surprise) how are the bolts which are incidently done up with wing nuts, connected to the cistern are they moulded in and will too much brute force and ignorance crack the cistern.If it helps its a armitage shanks loo installed in 1987.The reason for removal is to replace the diaphragm,its packed up.

Sponsored Links
give them a good go with a spanner or what ever you can get on it, but if all fails you have to cut them off with a hacksaw and replace the bits

So how are the bolts connected to the cistern,i can get them to move a bit,just worried that they are some how part of the cistern and will break the dam thing.

if the bolts don't protude through the cistern in the bottom they are more likely fixed to one of these.

p1077886_x.jpg

Sponsored Links
I fitted a new siphon today but it won't flush is it likely to be faulty,I have taken it out again and I can't see any thing obviously wrong any ideas.

I fitted a new siphon today but it won't flush is it likely to be faulty,I have taken it out again and I can't see any thing obviously wrong any ideas.
providing the diaphragms ok no reason why it won't flush.

what happens when you pull the lever ? does it have resistance on it ?

providing the diaphragms ok no reason why it won't flush.
Thanks seco I shall go and take it out again,good job i put in a isolation valve when i had it empty :LOL:Another point don't know if its relevant the cistern is 9 ltrs on the syphon instructions it says to close the top two of the three holes sound right to you?

Yes but where the plunger enters the reservoir when pushing the leaver to flush, water comes back up the plunger.

Yes but where the plunger enters the reservoir when pushing the leaver to flush, water comes back up the plunger.

you mean where the lever joins the linkage on the diaphragm ?
useally does where the diaphragm is forcing the water up the syphon and over the top.

on an opella syphon.
their is 2 holes. block both gives 9 L flush
block the top only gives 7 L flush, block bottom only gives 6 L flush.
siphon.jpg

Its a macdee syphon if that helps,just took it out again a definitely nothing wrong.

Someone correct me if i am wrong but 6l is all that should be flushed with new loo's as per Water regs i think. 9L if you are replacing like for like on old flushing loo

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back