Citroen Berlingo

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 'Y' registered Berlingo Multispace has an intermittent fault light.

The warning lamp for brakes lights up occasionally with a beep sound. This seems to occur when the engine is first started. The lamp will then go out. Sometimes the light and sound will occur after I have applied the brakes.

I have checked the levels of brake fluid and all are on maximum.

I have previously had issues with electrics, with fuses blowing erratically.

Any advice before I hand it over to a mechanic??

Thanks in advance

Simon

Sponsored Links
If your front disc pads have the wear sensors fitted to them, then perhaps the pads are due for replacement.
Failing this I have had issues with the lamp switch, operated by the hand brake lever.
John :)

What is the warning light? Is it for the ABS (that lights up at ignition on, then goes off), or the handbrake light the (!) light or another light? Don't understand what the beep refers to.

If you pull the handbrake lever when you are moving, the red dash light comes on and the thing beeps.

Sponsored Links
Certainly worth checking how much 'meat' is left on the disc pads - if they wear down to the backing, you'll need new discs as well as pads.

If you pull the handbrake lever when you are moving, the red dash light comes on and the thing beeps.

That seems to cover it...I understand on Citroen, that the handbrake means clamped on brakes, rather than a brakedrum, as it is known for disk brakes to cool down, and cars go rolling off down a hill (!)..

So it seems to be a warning to replace the pads, and depending on the mileage/service schedule, the disks.

The pads have an electrical connector that earths to the disk when they get to a certain level, so as you pull the handbrake, and can repeat the problem, look towards the rear brakes first, although normally the fronts are most abused.

I let my brakes get too low, they were poor, and needed replacing, then a little girl stepped out in front of me, stamped on the brakes, pulled the handbrake, just stopped in time. Now I never leave it to chance, and always replace in good time. Everyone was fine.

Back