Handbrake indicator light

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
My Citroen Berlingo Multispace has frustratingly failed its MOT for the failure of the handbrake indicator light.

Now the light displays on the dash when you start the engine but does not light up when the handbrake is applied.

Under the handbrake itself is a simple make/break sprung switch which only has one connection (a yellow wire) So I assume it 'makes' to earth when the handbrake is applied and this is when the light should light up. When the brake is off the connection is broken.

Any ideas as to my next steps in finding the fault

Any help would be much appreciated

Thanks in advance

Simon

Sponsored Links
Spot on. Cleaned up the contacts and attached it with a slightly larger self tapper and all ok

Thanks for you advice

Sponsored Links
I have just read the new regs (from March 2013) and, if it is only a handbrake-on warning light, then it is not testable.

If it doubles up as a brake fluid level warning lamp, then it must illuminate when the ignition is switched on, but go out after its "self-test".

Unfortunately, in your case it appears the handbrake switch in the handbrake-on position provides the "self-test" and the failure was, therefore justified.

Back