Jazz Handbrake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

Have a 2003 Honda Jazz and, in last couple of weeks, have noticed a bit of a problem with the handbrake. When starting off in the morning (particularly cold mornings) and letting the handbrake off, it springs back up a bit - enough to bring the dash light on but not enough to affect the car, but once the car has warmed up, the problem goes and if starting a warm car or later in the day the problem is not there at all.

Anyone else had this problem or have any ideas what it may be and whether I can repair it or a garage job (i have very limited experience with car maintenance)

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Seeing as cars now come with a 3 year warranty (some 5 years) it is probably worth taking it to the main dealer. Seeing as that is safety equipment (a light that warns you your brakes aren't doing exactly what they should), they should deal with it free of charge. It should be totally safe to drive, but definitely should be sorted.

It sounds like a problem with the handbrake lever itself rather than maladjustment of cables. Now, there is usually a little button that the handbrake presses down on when in the released position; when the handle bounces back up it obviously isn't pressing down that button. Hence the light is coming on.

Sounds like too much slack in the cables to me - adjust your H/brake.

Nothing fallen into the internal handbrake mechanism ?

Rear discs ? Could be pads sticking against disc, happens on certain occasions on my Nissan, no handbrake lever jump, but audible clunk as one pulls away and the pads spring free ... But only after wetting, during washing, cold discs, handbrake on, then not driving overnight .. discs soon have a film of rust, which just hold the pad(s) against the disc(s) ???
Could it be action of brake cabling and suspension ... parked on hill ?
Is the 'handbrake on' microswitch set too finely, ie. only 'just' going off when you set the brake off as far as hand lever will move ?
P

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all your replies. Just to let you know took back to dealer and was exactly as 'Kepplayer' said - too much slack in cable.

Dealer has tightened and no problems since

Back