Vauxhall Combo 1.3cdti 2009 rear brakes issues....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

Last year the handbrake cable snapped outside the O/S hub. When the garage fixed it at the MOT they found both cylinders were starting to leak so the van got the rear brakes fully replaced- well- shoes, spring kit, cylinders, new handbrake cable.
Since then the van has done just 3,600 miles, but since the summer the handbrake cable seems to have stretched or something as it's now at it's maximum number of clicks (13?) and barely gripping. I put it in for a pre Mot as last years bill was a horror story in the end, and they said that the brakes needed stripped cleaned and adjusted....in 3,600 miles when I rarely use the handbrake it's normally left in gear as drum brakes and damp usually lead to seized on handbrake....
I was none too happy and asked why this was but they said they need to strip them and have a look (kerrr- ching goes the till again)...very vague.
Is the handbrake on this model only adjustable from under the brake in the cab? I've a gut feeling that there's a problem with the adjuster strut which is not self adjusting and/or the adjuster strut needs cleaned and manually reset to get the shoes almost in contact with the drum?
I don't think this is a hub nut removal to get the drums off think it's just a retaining screw and wrestling match but I'm tempted to have a look myself. The van is currently up on blocks as I await auto-doc.uk getting the new discs and pads to fit myself...

( I don't know why I still put any faith in this garage- after last year when I popped the bonnet I found a pry screwdriver in there and a black cap, the cap belonged to the top of the new suspension strut as it enters the engine bay, the nut of which was on finger tight.... This is why I want a look in there myself- I replaced the brakes on my old combo B but that was 10 yrs ago)

Sponsored Links
This sounds like the self adjusters on the rear brake shoes aren't doing their job- nothing new there then!
Pop the drums off, and see if you can turn the adjusters manually. You'll need to put the drums back on, tap them with a hammer to centralise things and have another go.
Handbrake off, of course!
John :)

Cheers John,

I've actually just ordered a set of adjusters off of Ebay for £25. This has to be the problem and I noticed that of late the footbrake goes quite far on first press but if you quickly press again it firms up with less travel- reckon the adjusters have failed and allow the shoes to spring right back so each time you brake the pistons in the cylinder have a fair travel, they're not spongy though and that wasn't an issue at pre-mot. They'd quoted me close to £350 for new pads and discs and to look at the back brakes (with VAT added). If I can get this done myself the parts have been £61.... And if I can't get the drums off for some reason at least I have the adjuster kit to hand and probably a lot cheaper than they'd source them via a factors (ie- their quote for pads and discs was £95 I got them for £36!!)

Yep a spot on diagnosis!
When you are in there, take the time to lube the points where the shoes slide on the back plate, and also the handbrake pivot on the shoes themselves.
I adjust things so the shoes are just rubbing on the drums, then set the cables if necessary.
Be lucky!

Sponsored Links
Thanks John, top advice. I've just stumbled on the fact that Haynes do a manual for the van, just got one for £13. At 9 yrs old it's a funny one do I sell it or persevere and try and do as much as I can myself (done all the servicing basics) Only got 75k on the clock and had it from new. Only true horror story was the sump rotting out on it at about 3 yrs old and a new steering rack at 52k (made of cheese apparently). Think there's life in her yet and I kitted it out as a "micro-campervan" so a lot went into it!!!

No way I'd lose the van due to brake issues, you obviously know what you're doing!
Corrosion shouldn't be much of a problem, and so long as the gearbox and so on is ok I'd keep it rolling!

Back