What happens when you drive with the handbrake on???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

This may seem like a really stupid question, but Ive been worried that a problem Im having with my car may be related to the fact that my girlfriend has a habit of driving with the handbrake on (on freeways!).

But before I say what's going on, I figured Id ask what can happen first...

SO>>>> What sort of **** goes wrong the car drives at high speed with tha hand brake on???

I was actually in the car once when she was driving, I was kinda half asleep and we pulled over, then started driving again and when she got up to about 70-80km the car started shaking and as she got closer to 100km the shaking became REALLY bad, it was then I woke up and noticed the handbrake was still on.....

:eek: :evil:

Sponsored Links
Firstly the brakes would overheat, maybe cooking all the grease in the bearings, possibly boiling the brake fluid and shafting the rear brakes.

Best get those wheels off and have a look at them

brakes can over heat and beocme glazed over leaving less friction area to operate sufficientlyth edrum is likely to have expanded away fromt eh bakes during such driving and could result in loss of brakes, by the details supplied i would say the parking brake is only partially applied which may cause ware on brake system and parking break cable via strecthing.

i doubt very much the shuddering was due to the parking brake as it would have been highly noticable at start of journey if applied to such extent.

personally i would say your wifes hit the rumble strip, youve followed through after seeing red light on dash board.......stop blaming yer misses

Sponsored Links
If you have drum brakes for the handbrake on the rear wheels I have seen the lining become detatched from the shoe as it has become un bonded or the lining disintergrate completley. suggest brake strip & replace brake fluid. :rolleyes:

your mpg drops & usualy the big red light on the dash wont go out

Back