1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

GOLF 2004 ABS/ASR warning lights on.

Discussion in 'Car Repairs / Maintenance' started by mointainwalker, 14 Jun 2019 at 4:54 PM.

1. mointainwalker

mointainwalker

Thanks Received:
    France
    Hi

This car has been unused for six weeks and when I drove it yesterday , the handbrake was binding initially and the above warning-lights were showing. Since there was no problem when it was parked in April, I am thinking that these two lights are being driven by the same sensor, which has maybe got a bit of moisture in it or developed a poor connection somehow in the interim. I drove about 30 miles and the brake has re-set itself, but the lights are still there.

This is a friend's car and I don't have any books/documentation, so I'd be pleased to hear your thoughts before I start crawling underneath - and probably looking at the wrong wheel !

2. ktuludays

ktuludays

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    There is a sensor for the abs which detects if wheel has locked up during braking. They can fail but I'd initially unplug, clean up (ensure dry) then reconnect.

3. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    As you suspect, the greatest issue may be identifying which wheel.....
    As said above, each wheel has a two wire sensor, check for fraying which is often the fault. The front wheels have a reluctor wheel on the outer end of each drive shaft which may have rusted off, the rears I think have the reluctor in the hub or even the bearing.....I give each area a good blast with compressed air to shift any debris.
    If its nothing obvious, perhaps a scan by an able garage could be the next step - the ABS module is delicate on these and expensive, although they can be repaired.
    John :)

4. mointainwalker

mointainwalker

Thanks Received:
    France
    Thanks John. If there is fraying, is there a short replacement harness that is available ?

5. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Im pretty sure there is.....I do recall the front ones have a harness and connector, the latter was on the engine side of the inner wing but I dont remember how old the car was. The items came from a motor factors, rather than a dealer so the price was fair. I cant comment on the availability in France, of course!
    John :)

6. baldykev

baldykev

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    HI
    Check your brake lights work, blown bulb, can put the ABS warning light on

7. mointainwalker

mointainwalker

Thanks Received:
    France
    Thanks Baldykev