Fiesta handbrake warning light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, the "handbrake on" warning light comes on randomly while driving. I check the handbrake isn't on, test the brakes. Nothing I seem to be doing is making the light go on/off it just comes on, sometimes flickers, sometimes stays on for about a minute then goes off. Some friends tell me it could be a loose connection with wiring, the brakes themselves appear to be working fine. Do I need to get it checked?

Sponsored Links
It may be warning you that your brake pad/shoes have came to the end of their lives.

You really dont want to score your disks, then you will need pads & disks.

Alan

Check your brake fluid resevoir, some cars use the handbrake warning light as a low level indicator. If it is low you need to find out where it has gone, i.e. leaking cylinder etc, better to take it to a garage in this instance.

Hold on. mate!!
If it's only the "handbrake on" warning light, that's got nothing to do with the main hydraulic side of the brakes. If you are able to, pull back the base of the rubber boot that's at the bottom of the handbrake lever. Underneath the lever you should see a plunger type switch, probably awkward to get to with the lever in position, try spraying a little silicone based lube on it and working it in and out. It's probably just dry and sticky. A new one would cost a few quid but they're usually just sticky. You might even find a dried up chip is jamming it. Have a look at least before you go any further. It has nothing to do with the rest of the braking system, it's only a warning light to inform you that you've left your handbrake on.

Sponsored Links
I have just looked in my mondeo handbook and the light which comes on when the handbrake is applied is called the "Brake System Warning Light." If light comes on when the handbrake is released it is indicating the brake fluid level is low. Just depends wether it is the same for a Fiesta and a Mondeo?

Wrong ratm, spark123 is correct. This function is very common on most if not all cars.
johnwr

OK fair enough but most of the cars I've worked on had a seperate H/Brake on warning light which is a very common fault. Check the simple and obvious things first, you could save a packet.
I didn't know this was a competition,
Wrong ratm, spark123 is correct.
I thought we were trying to help each other.
It does seem a bit pointless for the Handbrake on light to be connected to the brake fault light, that means every time the handbrake is applied the fault light comes on so you don't know you have a brake fault until you release the handbrake. What if you're on a steep hill, handbrake off, off you go, light stays on no brake fluid, how do you stop? Yank the handbrake, it's raining or snowing, car starts sliding....Not my idea of a brake safty light.

hello ratm, it's not a competition but it does help if you get your facts right and not your idea's of how cars should be wired up. There are a lot of drivers who are confused with a minimum of instrumentation so adding more lights would make it even worse. The warning light generally is only a low fluid warning and can be a useful guide that it is time for a pad change.

So did the bloke figure out what was wrong? I guess we'll never know.

Sponsored Links
Back