Citroen dispatch fault

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi 
I have a really annoying fault with my van! It's a 2000 1.9 Citroen dispatch non turbo just straight diesel .  Had it for over a year with no problems until a month ago. I had been out in van parked it and returned half a hour later to find it would not start. Everything working ok all lights on etc just turning over but not firing. After a few try's it started and ran fine. Did the same again a few weeks later stalled then just refused to start then after a while taking key out it  just started. A week later did the same thing only with no stall just would not fire up!!! Got aa out this time but when he arrived it was running again!! He said if it does it again pump the primer under Bonnet . So the next day drove 300 miles to go on holiday all fine spent a week in Wales driving in van constant stop start then 300 miles back all fine!!! Stopped ten miles from home and van refused to start!! Pumped primer started!!! Got home all fine the next day started fine when out in van turned it off was away about a hours wouldn't start!! Called aa he check it out still not starting he said it was fault on immobiliser/stop start solenoid but he didn't pump primer much. Anyway it just started again!!! So booked it in to garage and they just started van every  hour for 2 day but as it started every time they said they couldn't check solenoid and told me to collect it!!     Now I have changed air filter fuel filter and looked for anything obvious but to no avail!! 
Now I  am worried to use it as don't want to break down again! Self employed and need it sorting out! 
Any help would be great!! 
Thanks 

Sponsored Links
Invest in a genuine Citroen crankshaft position sensor.....top of the bell housing, one allen bolt fixing.
John :)

Hi John

What's that and why would it help?? Sorry for being thick!! So don't you think it's the stop start solinoid ? Thanks

If your Dispatch has the DW8 motor, the stop solenoid is deep inside the injector pump - if its the XUD 9 then the stop solenoid is on the top of the pump, one wire connection.
Thats easy to check - take the solenoid out, remove the steel pin at the end and replace it....if the engine fires up then it won't stop on the ignition key, rather the engine is stalled or stopped by a lever on the top of the pump.
The crank position sensor tells the engine to inject fuel - if it doesn't work, the engine won't start. Symptoms include starting normally from cold, yet refusing to start at all when hot until its cooled down a bit.
Costing around £15 for a genuine item, if your engine has one its well worth renewing. I get through many more sensors than solenoids!
Hope you get it sorted soon.

Sponsored Links
Many thanks sir will get one tomorrow! Well worth a try!
Thanks again

The easiest way to get the correct component is to give the dealer / motor factor your van registration number.

Back