Citroen Dispatch suspension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post so, firstly, Hi to all forum users. Hope that someone can help me with a bit of advice.

I have a Citroen Dispatch 1.9 diesel on a 2004 plate. I carry around quite a lot of weight and the rear shocks are pretty much at their maximum compression. There is still a bit of travel but not much. Is it possible to beef up the rear suspension with heavier duty springs and or shocks? I know that I should probably get a bigger van but this one is all fitted out as I need it and it would be a right pain to have to refit a new one.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Its a bit of a difficult one really, as the Dispatch has trailing arms and torsion bars at the rear therefore uprating the spring value isn't that easy.
The shock absorbers don't play any part in the load bearing ability, just the torsion bar rebound - and its the torsion bars that would have to be replaced with stronger items.
However, many vans have a choice of kg loadings when you buy them - for example my Berlingo has a 600kg rate but I could have had an 800kg.
It could be possible to replace the shocks with spring assisted items but I'd have a word with Citroen first.....the van would be hardly drivable unloaded.
John :)

Sponsored Links
The Dispatch, the Fiat Scudo and the Peugeot Expert are identical vehicles in this respect, so it's worth shopping round all three for the heaviest duty springs you can get. I know there are quite a few different rear springs for the Peugeot Expert, though to do it "properly" you need to change the dampers too. A cheaper option would be to fit assister springs (the sort that caravan places sell - e.g. Towsure). I know you can get ones for the Expert that are a second smaller spring that goes up the inside of the main spring. A nastier option is the sort that is a rubber moulding which you wedge in between two or three of the coils. I don't like them because they increase the stresses in the remaining coils, but people seem to sell enough of them.

Back