Citroen DS3 2014 fuel filter looks old (Ed.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wifes car came up with a fault code and dropped in power. Forums said it could be the fuel filter but the wife insisted it had been done a month ago. I changed the filter again and car is going better. Is there a way of checking the age of a filter. I took the filter apart and it was black like an oil filter. Would this be consistent with an old filter or is there another problem that would introduce this level of contamination? Appreciate your help

Attachments

• IMG_4702.jpeg
    IMG_4702.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_4687.jpeg
    IMG_4687.jpeg
    290.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_4685.jpeg
    IMG_4685.jpeg
    399.5 KB · Views: 35
Sponsored Links
That's not a new filter, unless you use dirty oil instead of fuel.
BTW, I would avoid supermarket fuel, especially with newer cars.
Personally in my old cars I use shell v-power and never had a problem.
I do very few miles though, so I can justify the extra cost.

That filter is as old as the hills :unsure:
Is the engine a 1.4 hdi unit? (perils of a tiny screen I'm afraid).
John :)

1.6 but agree it was my first suspicion but read threads of injector seals causing similar which i will investigate as precaution.

Sponsored Links
I am familiar with the 1.6 hdi lump, and the filter is awkward to get to and a curious design which may put some people off.
The injector seals won’t cause this, but there will be a lot of carbonised grot in the injector wells.
Check the air filter too and change the fuel filter at 10k miles. If you do this, the filter element will still have the original colour on the paper.
John

Not sure if im replying to Brunerman or Bloomfield but thanks and surely that is not an orginal fuel filter from 2014. I can’t believe that could be the case .

I’ve seen worse, believe it or not but yours is some age! Looking how black it is, I’d say it had done at least 40k miles but no one can really tell.
I now replace diesel filters at 10k, and I find very little contamination or water in the filter bowls as a rule.
Injector pressures are so high these days that good filtration is vital - hence my 10k decision.
Your DV6 motor is a very crisp package that goes and lasts well - oil changes are essential at 10k though if you want to avoid turbo issues.
John

I like to write the fit date on filters, batteries and other consumables with permanent marker

White vinyl tape makes a durable label.

Sponsored Links
Back