city and guilds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
can anyone tell me what city and guilds qualifications precede 236 parts 1 and 2?I did my apprenticeship way back in 1978 to 1981 at west ham tech college but moved on to other employment in mid 80s fed up with london comute as company was london based william steward.As most local work to me was house bashing I soon got bored and found other employment. I would be interested to know if I can return to domestic work only and what extra qualifications I would need.I think my city and guilds are 235 A and B but will have to check. Am constantly asked about work by builders etc. but need to know what I need to be legit self employed domestic only Sparks. Any advice much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
From what I can remember for three years at tech (77 - 80) doing the C & G 236 parts 1 & 2. These superceded and at the time were the equivalent of the old A & B certificates from a few years earlier.
As for extra qualifications, I'd say C & G 2381 (16th edition) would be a neccessity before starting out, but IMO with the 17th edition due out in 2008 I don't know if spending £400 plus on a weeks course would be worth it. Perhaps some of the regular sparks may have different opinions.

Certainly a good understanding of the current regs is essential, as a domestic spark it will be in your interest to become a member of a Part P self certification scheme such as NICEIC, NAPIT, ECA, ELECSA, BSI etc. Each one of the schemes has different requirements for enrolment.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back