City firms prepare to shift £800bn out of UK as Brexit looms

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have absolutely no clue as to what relevance the FTSE market capitalisation and the total spend on EU membership have to do with one another.

The FTSE 100 market is still valued higher now than it was pre-referendum.

I think his point was just that the amount spent on EU membership is insignificant when looking at the wider economy, so the arguments that being a member of the EU is costly are pretty meaningless.

Another comparison - EU membership costs about £9 billion a year (based on the first result I read), and we spend about £264 billion on welfare. In the grand scheme of things, it ain't much. Or .. it's a good deal!

Sponsored Links
I think his point was just that the amount spent on EU membership is insignificant when looking at the wider economy, so the arguments that being a member of the EU is costly are pretty meaningless.

The comparison is meaningless. Extremely unlikely but for the sake of the point the FTSE index could double over night, the EU membership bill will only remain the same in the same period.

Do you and JD want to start a reading group?

Possibly to try understand the point you are making. I am not sure whether you are for or against trading blocs.

It still doesn't show any relevance to FTSE capitalisation and the cost of EU membership.

You're linking the FTSE value with being a member of, not the cost of.

The cost of EU membership provides benefits, these benefits of access has lead to the growth of the UK economy as explained in that article. If we did not pay this cost of membership our growth would be less as we would be trading with the EU with all the associated tariffs and non tariff costs thus lowering trade and thus our GDP.

The extra growth due to EU membership will filter through to the wider economy and the FTSE 100.

Possibly to try understand the point you are making. I am not sure whether you are for or against trading blocs.

It doesn't matter if I am or not and I'm of no particular sway, for or against. That's not the same as saying we should or should not be a member of one.

I'm saying I think the UK would be better to trade outside of the EU rules for trade, why have you and JD struggled to realise that?

The cost of EU membership provides benefits, these benefits of access has lead to the growth of the UK economy as explained in that article. If we did not pay this cost of membership our growth would be less as we would be trading with the EU with all the associated tariffs and non tariff costs thus lowering trade and thus our GDP.

The extra growth due to EU membership will filter through to the wider economy and the FTSE 100.

Right.

Again, not showing the relevance of the market index value (or loss) and the cost of EU membership. You've explained something that was beneficial but not the link between the value and the cost.

The comparison is meaningless. Extremely unlikely but for the sake of the point the FTSE index could double over night, the EU membership bill will only remain the same in the same period.

Sponsored Links
I'm saying I think the UK would be better to trade outside of the EU rules for trade, why have you and JD struggled to realise that?

If you are saying that. Sure can you justify it and provide some thoughts on why and some evidence. So would that mean trading on what basis?

Right.

Again, not showing the relevance of the market index value (or loss) and the cost of EU membership. You've explained something that was beneficial but not the link between the value and the cost.

What is the share price of a company made up of? Is it the NVI of all future revenue streams based on future expectations? How does one calculate the share price of a company? Do they look at the current economy and trading conditions?

The benefits filter throughout the economy and a strong economy and economic outlet will lead to a higher FTSE 100 index over time.

If we drop out of the EU suddenly - you think the FTSE 100 share price will react?

If you are saying that. Sure can you justify it and provide some thoughts on why and some evidence. So would that mean trading on what basis?

What is the share price of a company made up of? Is it the NVI of all future revenue streams based on future expectations? How does one calculate the share price of a company? Do they look at the current economy and trading conditions?

The benefits filter throughout the economy and a strong economy and economic outlet will lead to a higher FTSE 100 index over time.

If we drop out of the EU suddenly - you think the FTSE 100 share price will react?
He is back on the Fed Beige.

Rofl...probably,,they react when Trump wakes up every morning.They bounce back, crystal ball economics,thats all

You haven't answered the link between the value of the FTSE 100 (which is still higher than it was pre-referendum) and the total cost of EU membership.

You, much like Prof. Grayling have a habit of deflecting from the actual question and answering by talking about something completely different.

Talking pension pots and currency value is even further from the original statement.
Sadly you don't understand the phrase 'bigger picture'...

The country is much poorer as a whole compared to before the referendum...

Of course that loss isn't spread out proportionally, but then those at the bottom of the pile don't tend to understand who the real villains of the piece are...

But hey, if you don't feel you get value from 39p a day then that is your choice to make...

A bizarre choice of course compared with what you've lost, but then 'stupid is as stupid does' ;)

I'm saying I think the UK would be better to trade outside of the EU rules for trade

What do you mean by "better?"

Do you mean lower tariffs, and fewer non-tariff barriers?

Do you mean "buy cheaper and sell dearer?"

Do you mean "sell more?"

Do you mean "not comply with the rules and regulations of our customers?"

Which are the countries you have in mind, that you expect to trade "better" with after resigning from the EU?

Sadly you don't understand the phrase 'bigger picture'...

The country is much poorer as a whole compared to before the referendum...

Of course that loss isn't spread out proportionally, but then those at the bottom of the pile don't tend to understand who the real villains of the piece are...

But hey, if you don't feel you get value from 39p a day then that is your choice to make...

A bizarre choice of course compared with what you've lost, but then 'stupid is as stupid does' ;)

I understand it completely but again, it has no relevance to the statement in question.

Jonbey answered it best but even then was a completely irrelevant link to make.

You however answer your own questions, ones I've not asked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back