City & Guilds cert in Basic Construction Skills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently been made redundant, and am looking to retrain in carpentry.

I've been offered the above course by the job centre, free of charge. The only problem is that it's 2 days a week for the next 10 weeks. This is quite a long time to be out of work (I've never missed a day in my life until now, and I'm 28). Now, whilst I'm absolutely killing to learn, I don't want to waste my time if this cert is worth jack sh*t to anybody. I may aswell go back into work and take on an evening course.

The content is one days training on each of the following -

Fixing skirting to a timber background
Fixing floor joists and laying flooring
Fixing door lining in stud partition or blockwork opening
Hanging an internal door
Constructing through mortice and tenon
Constructing stub mortice and tenon
Constructing haunched mortice and tenon62
Constructing centre bridle joint
Constructing halving dovetail joint
Constructing through dovetail
Constructing lapped dovetail
Constructing biscuit joint

What do you guys think? Wasting my time, or a good stepping stone?

All comments greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I feel sorry for you if you think 10weeks is a long time out of your life, to learn the basics of a trade that will serve you well.

I was born in the early fifties so that makes me as old as a young conker tree. I served my five year apprenticeship in the days when your parents signed an official document or contract known as indentures, and have worked in the building trade ever since. And I am still learning

Thanks for the reply.

I'd happily take the 10 wks out to do this course, if it meant that there'd be a job/apprenticeship waiting at the end of it for me.

My grandad was a builder for 50 years, it's just a shame that he retired 10 years before I worked out what I wanted to do...

If you think that some one is going to be fighting over you to obtain your skills after ten weeks then think again.

Sponsored Links
Haha, I never thought that. I just thought it would make me a little more attractive to any potential employer, rather than having nothing. I know the NVQ route is going to be the way to go, but hoped that this could help persuade somebody to give me a shot.

if its free then take it,nothing stopping you looking for another job whilst your doing the course,another string to your bow so to speak,but after 10 weeks if your going to be thinking you know how to do carpentry/joinery then think again,if it gives you a taste for it then enquire about a proper course and see if your entitled to any help whilst learning?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back