Clad a shed with undercloak/soffit strips

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a garden building in a 4.5 x 2.3 metre space at the bottom of my garden enclosed on 3 sides by wooden fences. I want to make maximum use of the space so there will be no room to treat the sides in the future so I am looking for a cladding material that will need no maintenance for as long as possible and is reasonably cheap. Because it is within a couple of inches of fences it does not need to look pretty on 3 sides so I though maybe soffit strips/undercloak may do the job such as link below.

Good or bad idea? I thought these would be more hard wearing than using shed felt! Any other suggestions welcomed! Thanks
[/url]http://www.roofingsuperstore.co.uk/product/fibre-cement-soffit-strips-2400mm-x-150mm-x-45mm-pallet-of-420.html

Sponsored Links
Ouch thats stuff is expensive.

I am planning on doing a similar thing but using PVC soffit board.

http://www.eurocell.co.uk/upvc-trade/221/soffits

5m lengths of the 300mm wide hollow soffit board like in that pic are about £13.50 per length.
Have a google for your nearest Eurocell branch, Delivery's are free for orders over £50 I think.

They do a rosewood or black one too if you don't want white but its twice the price

Gazman and on the back it will say not for cladding as it is not waterproof, If it something long lasting you want then I would recommend box profile laminated roofing sheets.

mmm It docent say anything on the back.
I like many window fitters/builders have been using it to clad gables, porches and conservatory's for years. I personally have used it for 15 years plus and have never had a call back.

Sponsored Links
Yes you are not alone in thinking it is a cheap cladding option, but but it is short term solution that is why it is sold as soffit closure. perfect for your 10yr shed life span.

Thanks for the tips I will take a look at the pvc stuff, someone mentioned Fibre cement board and it also has good acoustic properties. I can find manufacturers but haven't found anyone selling it.

I'm building a garden building in a 4.5 x 2.3 metre space at the bottom of my garden enclosed on 3 sides by wooden fences. I want to make maximum use of the space so there will be no room to treat the sides in the future
You'll need to apply for Building Regulations approval - that will not be a Class 6 exempt building.

I'm building a garden building in a 4.5 x 2.3 metre space at the bottom of my garden enclosed on 3 sides by wooden fences. I want to make maximum use of the space so there will be no room to treat the sides in the future
You'll need to apply for Building Regulations approval - that will not be a Class 6 exempt building.
I thought I was ok because of number 3 below?
Class 6 (Small detached buildings)

1. A detached single storey building, having a floor area which does not exceed 30m2, which contains no sleeping accommodation and is a building—

(a) no point of which is less than one metre from the boundary of its curtilage; or

(b) which is constructed substantially of non-combustible material.

3. A detached building, having a floor area which does not exceed 15m², which contains no sleeping accommodation.

Yes - you're right - I totally misread Schedule 2 - v. sorry. :oops:

getmecoat.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back