Using white plastic hollow soffit boards to clad wooden shed frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Building a shed and was going to clad it with uPVC white hollow soffit board applied horizontally. I will be using the secret nailing technique to fix it to the frame.

I am planning to install a breathable vapour barrier onto the exterior 4 by 1 inch frame and then install the soffit. In the cavity of the frame I want to install cozy wrap or insulation board and then line the internal wall with thermal plasterboard.

Maybe this is a bit over the top but I will have a toilet and washbasin in the shed and I don't want pipework freezing in times of cold weather.

Does this sound over the top or nonsense.. Let me know

Sponsored Links
Personally, unless you're on a really tight budget I would clad in something more durable - cement based - Marley Cedral or Hardie planks or Fortex pvc cladding. The soffit is flimsy stuff designed for out of reach use - you'll be stuffed when it gets damaged.

That hollow stuff is not designed for vertical fixing. Secret nailing won't be any good, it will flap about.

Sponsored Links
agree about cladding being fliimsy

also what heat source will you have in the shed??

Used black on my shed and recladding of hot tub and over my upper bay window , all vertical all fine after three years, no flapping ,no warping, no damage .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back