Hollow soffit board use as cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As title suggests really. Current property has a dormer on top and it’s been clad with hollow soffit boards. Or at least, they look like that but seem to be smaller. It needs replacing as I’m putting a smaller window in. From what I’ve read you can’t use hollow soffit boards as cladding. Is that right?

Only ones I can find are 300mm boards and the ones on there are slightly smaller than that but are still hollow. Any idea what they might be?

Sponsored Links
I'm sorry, I can't answer your question.
But have you considered getting cement fibre board cladding, such as Cedral?
They look far better than uPVC cladding, have better fire resistance and will last longer.

Last edited:
I guess the key thing for me is cost. We are refurbishing to sell on so it just has to look nice rather than really nice. The boards for cedral seem to be £22 ish a length whereas the soffit board I can get for £10 a length. But I’m not sure it’s approved for that use even though previous owners built it that way.

Ahh, I see :)
Are you sure they are soffit boards and not external cladding boards?
A photo may help us identify?

Sponsored Links
Ahh, I see :)
Are you sure they are soffit boards and not external cladding boards?
A photo may help us identify?
I’ll take a picture and upload tomorrow. I’ve attached one but probably too difficult to see the detail on it. Not sure if the pins at the bottom are a clue?

Attachments

• FECF34DD-FC0F-4531-957C-12F533EAFFB7.jpeg
    FECF34DD-FC0F-4531-957C-12F533EAFFB7.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 131
I’ve attached one but probably too difficult to see the detail on it.
Yep, you're right! :oops:
You can see the boards are in groups of three:
Screenshot_20220926-235719_Chrome.jpg
The finish and corner detailing also seem quite poor.
I will wait for second opinions, but I would be tempted to rip it all off and replace with the uPVC shiplap cladding listed above. At least it shouldn't set any alarm bells ringing when the buyers survey comes back.

Yep, you're right! :oops:
You can see the boards are in groups of three:
View attachment 280742
The finish and corner detailing also seem quite poor.
I will wait for second opinions, but I would be tempted to rip it all off and replace with the uPVC shiplap cladding listed above. At least it shouldn't set any alarm bells ringing when the buyers survey comes back.
Yeah. One of a number of things that’s been poorly done that I’m rectifying. I’m surprised it got signed off in all honesty. The window on the left is being replaced by a smaller one. Slightly worried what I’ll find when I rip it all off though.

Hollow boards are for soffits, and are not water resistant when laid vertically.

I check these when carrying out a survey and flag them as a concern.

Also plastic not suitable within 1m of a boundary, unless it can be proven that there is other fire resistant material in the structure. Again reported on survey.

Hollow boards are for soffits, and are not water resistant when laid vertically.

I check these when carrying out a survey and flag them as a concern.

Also plastic not suitable within 1m of a boundary, unless it can be proven that there is other fire resistant material in the structure. Again reported on survey.
When you say boundary, you mean from the roof edge or the property boundary? What fire resistant material would you expect to see?

Any part of a building within 1m of a property boundary should constructed substantially of non - combustible material, or be suitably protected if not.

Plastic cladding on a dormer close to a boundary would normally be picked up on a survey and then the problems start.

You may, if questioned be able to demonstrate that the particular cladding does not support spread of fire, but you should also be prepared to demonstrate that the structure behind does not either, and cavities are fire stopped. Because as soon as fire spread is mentioned on a report buyers become twitchy.

Any part of a building within 1m of a property boundary should constructed substantially of non - combustible material, or be suitably protected if not.

Plastic cladding on a dormer close to a boundary would normally be picked up on a survey and then the problems start.

You may, if questioned be able to demonstrate that the particular cladding does not support spread of fire, but you should also be prepared to demonstrate that the structure behind does not either, and cavities are fire stopped. Because as soon as fire spread is mentioned on a report buyers become twitchy.
So as you look at it in the picture, the left side is well over 1m as there is a wrap around extension on the ground floor. So really it’s just the distance between the right side and the boundary with the neighbouring property. I’ll have to double check it.

Have you got any recommendations as to what would be cheap to resolve and not cause issues?

Will fitting a smaller window not make it look odd?
I don’t think it will. Most dormers have a smaller window for the bathroom. Plus the toilet is going where I’m replacing the window section with the wall extension.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back