Cladding options

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've moved into a property that had a dormer built in roughly 2005. Its got some cheap cladding on it. I'm looking at changing a window as I'm putting an en suite up there so need it to be smaller and frosted. The cladding thats on the dormer at the minute is falling apart. It clearly wasn't done to a good standard but with having a smaller window, I need to replace it all anyway. Unless I can find a match and replace some longer bits. Seems unlikely though.

What are some good low cost options for cladding? I've heard about marley weatherboard. But are there any alternatives?

Also, do I need planning permission to change cladding?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
White plastic shiplap, like they have on the council estates is quite low cost

White plastic shiplap, like they have on the council estates is quite low cost
That’s what is on there now. Is it just called plastic shiplap? Or is it PVCu or something?

Not a huge fan of the look but it’s really dirty so may look better after a clean.

You need to look at photos or real life cladding as it can look so varied. and is not just "cladding"

Shiplap is just a style of T&G (tongue and groove) profile, there are other styles, and the Marley board you mention is fitted like feather edge fencing and looks a lot different.

Sponsored Links
You need to look at photos or real life cladding as it can look so varied. and is not just "cladding"

Shiplap is just a style of T&G (tongue and groove) profile, there are other styles, and the Marley board you mention is fitted like feather edge fencing and looks a lot different.
Ah I assumed it was tongue and groove too. Thanks for highlighting that. Doesn’t necessarily rule it out but knowing any potential reworking of what’s behind is useful.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back