cladding around a window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi again!
i want to clad my house in a few months with marley weatherboard cladding and am currently learning all the basics, the thing im stuck on is the window details ive attached an example of what i think is right, what i want to acheive is the american new england look, the issue is in America you can get the windows with built in flanges , but it seems i will have to build my own,
would i need a slight angle on the sill to help the water drain
shouls i just put some sealent where the reveal white cladding meets the window?
can any one tell me is this is the correct aproach

cheers
jon

Sponsored Links
does the window already have a sill that projects beyond where you cladding will be?

are you putting felt or membrane behind the battens for the cladding?

presumably the house is already made of weatherproof brick or something and the windows do not leak?

I have no idea what you mean by American New England look.

Your picture appears to show trim laid on the surface of the cladding, this will tend to trap water, and, if wood, to rot. A huge amount of water flows down a clad or tile-hung wall when the rain blows against it. I have one and have fitted teak cheeks to the windows, which I stained and treated with Cuprinol and linseed oil.

sorry
my fault, ive just realized how unclear my post was
ok in the picture the orange wall is the outer brick wall. the yellow strips are the wood batterns, i will be replacing all the windows in the house and starting from scratch,
below is a pic i found on the net of how they do it in the usa

Sponsored Links
OK

so these windows are set in a thing a bit like a door liner. I imagine the American ones are in a timber frame house.

My suggestions are probably biased because of the way I have done mine.

Unless you are certain that when you sell the house the buyer will want to keep the cladding, I would set the new windows into the brickwork as usual, and put hardwood cheeks to the sides of the windows, butted up against the window frame at the house side and slightly projecting beyond the cladding on the outside. Very little rain will get inside, except in stormy winds. You can screw your trim to these cheeks, Make the cheeks strong and durable, the trim will need much more maintenance but you can unscrew and replace it when it rots or cracks. Try to get an extra-deep sill that will project (including the drip) beyond the cladding, The board at the head of the window should be inside the cladding so that rain cannot fall on it. All slopes must be to the outside.

Use felt or lead around the windows and under the sill, dressed underneath and to the sides so that water can only run down the outside of the felt or breathable membrane under your cladding

BTW mine has felt with an airgap behind the cladding, but I think a better method would be a breathable membrane plus PU or similar rigid foam insulation board

Detailing at the bottom of the wall, make sure the cladding is kicked out so the water run-off falls outside the brickwork. There will be a great deal of water. I did mine by increasing the batten thickness at the bottom.

View media item 4848
And this is my BiL's house in Australia

View media item 15097

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back