Replacing Render with UPVC cladding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

Complete DIY beginner here..... I am looking to replace the rendering around the rear bay window with UPVC. On the face of it, it looks like a simple task (and to most people it probably is!) however I was just after some advice.

Most Youtube videos show the cladding being installed on timber batons - however I am unsure whats behind the rendering. I have attached some pictures as an example.

The bay runs at 90 degree angle which makes things slightly easier - however I am unsure as to whether I need to strip back the bay by taking away all the render and led flashing? Or can I just put the UPVC on top of this?

I have all the plastics - is there anything else in particular I need?

Thanks for looking!

Matt

Attachments

• Bay window 1.jpg
    Bay window 1.jpg
    333.6 KB · Views: 113
  • Bay Window 2.jpg
    Bay Window 2.jpg
    370.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Bay Window 3.jpg
    Bay Window 3.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 106
Sponsored Links
The bay will be timber frame.

Over cladding will look crap and take the cladding too far out past the bedroom cill.

Take the render and the lathes off, insulate with Celotex, fit a breather membrane, batten then clad. You'll need a flashing top and bottom, and ideally at the wall junction.

Thanks,

what mm thickness would you recommend for the bay? Seems to come in many thicknesses from 25mm to 200mm!

Also, is there a certain type of timber I need to use for the batons or would something like this suffice?

Again, thanks for your help - first proper DIY task I’m taking on so a little nervous!

Last edited by a moderator:
The insulation thickness would be the same as the timber frame thickness.

Battens should be 25x50 treated. Roof tile battens are the same.

Do some research on other bay cladding threads, and cladding in general.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back