Cladding my Dormer's

5 Feb 2014
Reaction score
United Kingdom
I have four dormer's that are currently built with a facing of marine ply. The initial plan was to render them but now I am considering upvc cladding. My question is around what the cladding goes on to. Do I need some sort of damp proof membrane, then vertical battens and then the cladding? I guess I don't just fix the cladding direct to the marine play?
Sponsored Links
You should have a breather membrane on the ply, then vertical battens then cladding, assuming its horizontal cladding. A ventilation gap at the bottom and the top (to prevent the timber battens from getting damp and rotting) with a mesh at the vent points to stop insects getting behind the cladding. Plenty of details online if you care to Google.

Consider Marley Weatherboard, cheaper than UPVC the last time I looked but much nicer.
I would consider using a cement based cladding like hardieplank or cembrit. uPVC is a horrible building material - it has a huge coefficient of thermal expansion and on any surface that is likely to get full sun in summer it can be a problem.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local