"cladding" an exterior wall.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a wall around our car park area that is about 5 foot high. It is retaining a small bank and although it has drainage holes in it it gets very damp in the wet season(through to the face of it) and subsequently the masonary paint has started to peel etc. This paint was applied using the correct procedure.
I could spend ages trying to strip this paint and have the wall re rendered but from experience masonary paint is very hard and messy to remove.

My thought is to clad the wall using some sort of exterior cement board or other such board held away from this wall using thin battens (nylon or plastic) This would allow for a small gap to stop damp reaching the front surface.
I would then seal the gap at the top with cement/render to clean it up.

Does anyone know if and where I can buy sheets of a suitable board for this job. I gues it would be about 1/2 " thick and maybe in 8' by 4' foot sheets and suitable for painting with masonary /exterior paint.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Something like that on an exterior wall will most likely get broken and its adding more paraphanalia to go wrong.

Why not get to the source of the damp and stop that. Like excavating the rear of the wall and draining it properly to the base.

That was an option but don't really fancy shifting over 10 tons of earth ! Thanks for you reply though

ten tones wow lol
the best way is too get a diggger in the dig out behind the wall to the footins 600mm bucket on the digger will be fine if your not fat :eek: are you a faty
then let it dry out clean off with burshes trowels shovels ect
then add 3/4 coats of black jack over the wall then you can put in a french drain if you want but i tend too call up demo firms and get crushed concrete 3"nugget is best fill the trench about half way up then back fill job done oowwww and clean out your weep holes or even add some more
i spent 4months in london working on retaining wall/banking wall
ass for the paint job wait till the summer jetwash it and add 3coats of a good outdoor paint with a high silicone content

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back