Cladding inside summer house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm building a summer house and would like to know what anyone would recommend to clad the inside of the summer house.

What is the cheapest and most effective sheet material, was looking at 3mm ply but is there a cheaper option that would withstand any damp/warping issues.

Looking to use 8' x 6' sheets. Any ideas fo cheap cladding, idea would eb to paint internally.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
I'm building a summer house and would like to know what anyone would recommend to clad the inside of the summer house.

What is the cheapest and most effective sheet material, was looking at 3mm ply but is there a cheaper option that would withstand any damp/warping issues.

Looking to use 8' x 6' sheets. Any ideas fo cheap cladding, idea would eb to paint internally.

Many thanks.
hi,i have a summer house in my garden put up around 2 years ago,just before xmas i decided to build a extension i put up the framework and clad the outside with featheredge board,then sealed inside with plastic sheeting and clad over with t&g cladding quite cheap for the thin stuff from wickes,i had a few issues with nails pulling out as we used a nail gun but after using the good old hammer and nails everything seems fine,i have also installed a wood burner so can get very warm when that is on and cold when it is not,but the finished product looks good and have many happy and drunken weekends in there. :D

Hi,I have a summer house in my garden put up around 2 years ago.
Just before Xmas I decided to build a extension i put up the framework and clad the outside with featheredge board,then sealed inside with plastic sheeting and clad over with t&g cladding quite cheap for the thin stuff from wickes.

I had a few issues with nails pulling out as we used a nail gun but after using the good old hammer and nails everything seems fine.

I have also installed a wood burner so can get very warm when that is on and cold when it is not,but the finished product looks good and have many happy and drunken weekends in there. :D

kev5830 just what I am after, so you have featheredge board outside, stud wall, plastic sheeting (any fancy name for that) and then thin T&G inside?

Like the stove, where did you get that (how much if I may ask) and what is the black pipe called, know what I want just don't know the terms.

Thanks for the share, great looking place.

Sponsored Links
Yes thats exactly how i did it,i have a roll of sheet i got from work but any kind would do taupaling something like that,think you may be able to buy stuff just for this purpouse,maybe quite expensive though,forgot to say i insulated it all as well so keeps nice and warm when the fire is on.

fire i got from ebay £182 with delivery they do the same ones at machine mart but are £200,black pipe is a standard flue pipe which goes into a double walled insulated pipe which is needed as going through a combustable roof,you also need some fire board for the roof as the pipe has to be well away from the cladding,its quite expensive around £40 for a sheet but if you go to your local timber yard they usually have broken sections which they will sell you cheap,

if you do decide to clad inside i would leave it a couple of weeks before you stain as if there is any shrinkage it will show where you havent stained it,but as long as you get plenty of nails in it shold be ok,if you need any further advise as to how i did things just get in touch always happy to help where i can.

Yes thats exactly how i did it,i have a roll of sheet i got from work but any kind would do taupaling something like that,think you may be able to buy stuff just for this purpouse,maybe quite expensive though,forgot to say i insulated it all as well so keeps nice and warm when the fire is on.

fire i got from ebay £182 with delivery they do the same ones at machine mart but are £200,black pipe is a standard flue pipe which goes into a double walled insulated pipe which is needed as going through a combustable roof,you also need some fire board for the roof as the pipe has to be well away from the cladding,its quite expensive around £40 for a sheet but if you go to your local timber yard they usually have broken sections which they will sell you cheap,

if you do decide to clad inside i would leave it a couple of weeks before you stain as if there is any shrinkage it will show where you havent stained it,but as long as you get plenty of nails in it shold be ok,if you need any further advise as to how i did things just get in touch always happy to help where i can.

where abouts in yorkshire do you live,the place where i got all timber from deliver around yorkshire it was a hell of a lot cheaper than the big diy chains or even my local timber merchants,its based in bradford www.estatesawmills.co.uk

Thanks for the tip on the timber suppliers, seem well priced.

Another silly question.... I planned on putting the summer house on paving slabs, again in another cost cutting measure planned on leaving out some slabs in the centre and pea gravelling to allow to breathe.

1) slabs okay
2) can I leave out some slabs
3) would you weed membrane under pea gravel

Thanks.

Thanks for the tip on the timber suppliers, seem well priced.

Another silly question.... I planned on putting the summer house on paving slabs, again in another cost cutting measure planned on leaving out some slabs in the centre and pea gravelling to allow to breathe.

1) slabs okay
2) can I leave out some slabs
3) would you weed membrane under pea gravel

Thanks.

are you putting a wooden floor in?
my main bar area has wooden floor in,floor joists were just laid on breeze blocks at the corners and a few in between the joists,was cheaper than slabs then just floorboarded over got no insulation in the floor but its warm enough,in between the blocks there is no membrane but as it is dark nothing can grow ,been down a few years now and had no problems,the extension has a solid stone floor in as this was a patio that was put up first then decided to extend the building,if at a later date i decide to put a floor in i would insulate the floor.

Probably another silly question?

Wood frame joists using 3" x 2", noggined out and well spaced at 16" was the plan.

The breeze block way would be cheap but surely over time they would start to sink into the ground so....

Heavily compacted ground, then breeze block, happy to overkill on breeze block but need to make sure they don't sink over time?

Am I still on the right tracks?

Thanks

Probably another silly question?

Wood frame joists using 3" x 2", noggined out and well spaced at 16" was the plan.

The breeze block way would be cheap but surely over time they would start to sink into the ground so....

Heavily compacted ground, then breeze block, happy to overkill on breeze block but need to make sure they don't sink over time?

Am I still on the right tracks?

Thanks
yea you got the idear,best way knock together the floor frame first and lay out on the ground,you can then tell where you need to place the blocks,dig down where they are going to go and fill the holes with hardcore and compact,on top of this put in a wet mix of cement and lay the blocks on,place the floor frame on the blocks and tap down untill floor is all level,if it is done right there is no way it is going to sink.
if was to just lay the blocks on bare ground like you said over time they would move and create all sort of problems. Blocks around 50p a time couple of small bags of hardcore around £3.50 a bag, sand and cement.cheap to do but will probably outlast your summerhouse if done right

Just a quick question I have just bought a Summerhouse and wood burner to install, the fireboard you have installed in your summerhouse is this just on the inside or outside as well ?

Do I need to cut away the wood where the fireboard? Or just fasten it onto the existing roof?

What are you fastening the fireboard to the roof with?

Sorry for so many questions just if you could point me in the right direction with any tips and advice for installation of the stove in the summer house.
:confused:

Just a quick question I have just bought a Summerhouse and wood burner to install, the fireboard you have installed in your summerhouse is this just on the inside or outside as well ?

Do I need to cut away the wood where the fireboard? Or just fasten it onto the existing roof?

What are you fastening the fireboard to the roof with?

Sorry for so many questions just if you could point me in the right direction with any tips and advice for installation of the stove in the summer house.
:confused:

hi,dwatts what i did was to offer the flue pipe up to the roof and marked it out,i dont know what sort of pipe you are using (single or double wall) but it should tell you how far away from combustable surfaces it sould be,if it is a double wall it is around 50mm.
Cut a rough hole out and put the pipe up through the roof,then cut 2 pieces out of the fire board one for the top and one for the bottom of the roof,it may be a bit tricky cutting out the hole in the fire board if you have a sloping roof as it wont be round,more like an egg shape,easiest way is to do it in 2 pieces.
you can just screw straight on to the roof and felt over the one on the top you may need to put a few batterns in to fix to,pack round the flue pipe with insulation.
If the cut out has gaps round dont worry too much fill with high temperature silicone and then spray with a high temperature paint and will look quite good.
You can also pick up a silicone flashing for the roof quite cheep on ebay

Finally got the summer house built now for the stove installation, please can you advise me how long the flue pipe is on your stove, as I have just had a engineer round he told me the flue needs to be at least 4.5 to 5 meters in length, to comply with regulations. :(

How long is the single lined flue on yours ?
How long is double lined flue on yours ?

Also what fixings have you used to hold the flue in place ?

Many Thanks
Dave

hi glad to hear everything went ok would love to see some pictures,single flue is 1 meter and double is 1 meter it rises above the roof pitch so thats all i was bothered about, no fixings the fire board is a tight fit which holds it in place,there is also a flexable silicone flashing on the roof witch also holds it fire cement round the join with the stove,gets very windy by me and had no problems with it

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back