Claim 2 years after build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Next door neighbour, has just told us about alleged damage
to their garden by our builder during erection of rear extension.

Our builder last accessed their property, finished his building work
2 years ago!!!! This is the first time they have told us about this. If it
had been by builder at time would have got it sorted as had build insurance and of course the builder was here.

Is it the builder or ourselfs liable in this situation. Am I correct in thinking
as it is 2 years ago then they have to provide evidence and not just
their say that it was our builder/ build.

Sponsored Links
Don't get involved. The builder are your agents. Give them the name and address of the builder and let them sort it out. It will go nowhere unless they can show what damage was caused and that the damage was due to the builder. Sounds unlikely to me after 2 years.

Don't get involved. The builder are your agents. Give them the name and address of the builder and let them sort it out. It will go nowhere unless they can show what damage was caused and that the damage was due to the builder. Sounds unlikely to me after 2 years.

Legally, the neighbour would have to pursue this against the OP, not the builder.
But, as you say, after two years?............

Sponsored Links
Legally, the neighbour would have to pursue this against the OP, not the builder.
But, as you say, after two years?............

No, the person who has allegedly caused the damage is pursued in this situation.

IIRC, the Prescription and Limitation Act, will allow claims up to five years after discovery

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back