Clamps for woodworking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to get into woodworking and am looking at clamps for some projects. At the moment I just need some spring clamps and G-clamps. Eventually I'll look at F-clamps, band clamps and quick release bar clamps.

Does anyone have brand recommendations for the above?

Sponsored Links
I have no brand in mind, but I've had a lot of success with generic quick clamps, I got a set from ITS tools when on sale, just bought them on a whim, but they're really good.

Nozzle

The Eclipse G clamps I have are the best I've ever used. They are monsters! So strong.

Depends on the force you need though, you're probably better off starting with the F-clamps and quick clamps for general woodwork. I have some Irwin quick clamps, which are very good, and again, 2 Eclipse ones which the jaws are HUGE and much stronger!!

These ones...

pACE3-11994711enh-z7.jpg

and these...

s-l300.jpg

Gaz :)

Sponsored Links
I just took a picture of them to give you an idea of the difference...

20170406_200919.jpg

I realise the Irwin ones say "MINI", buy they are comparable, because they are in the same price bracket, the Eclipse ones being a bit more expensive.

Bessy make quality clamps.

I second this. They're not cheap but you'll see where your money went as soon as you start using them. Used to pick up cheaper clamps and they would fail, lack force and in the finish I wish I'd just spent my money on decent bessey clamps.

G clamps you generally can't go wrong with but they're probably going to damage your finish if you don't use buffer blocks. They're more suited to metal work rather than woodwork.

Another Beasley vote.. also as said you can't have enough

Beasley.... :mad: autocorrect! Bessey!

Last edited by a moderator:
Have a watch of this. Infact if you're inexperienced in woodwork you can learn alot from this guy's channel, Peter Parfitt.

I learned a lot from Matthias Wandel too. He's worth a look on YouTube.

Bessey are good if you can stretch to them. Personally I've got a selection of F and speed clamps. You shouldn't need too much clamping force if your joints are tight - if you're having to clamp hard to close up joints then the likelihood is that they will reopen eventually.

For site work (and after all a lot of DIY work is quite similar) you really can't go far wrong with the original Cox Solo cramps. I have six 150mm ones in my kit which handle a multitude of tasks. Most of the time good glueing isn't down to ridiculously expensive cramps, or ultra heavy G-cramps, it's down to using a modicum of pressure over a sufficient contact area and choosing an appropriate cramp

yes as said you can never have to many clamps

i have about 14 x6"cox solo clamps and about 5 random 6" solo clamps
i also have about 15x 4"4xbxd and the rest lidl or other cheep
i have about 6 conventional "G" clamps from about 8" to about 16" but they are seldom used solo type clamps are more than enough for 95% off applications
i also have about 12-14 bar/sash/"T" clamps but thats for another day :rolleyes:

i also have about 12-14 bar/sash/"T" clamps but thats for another day :rolleyes:
With on-site work it's often the weight/volume issue which is most important - especially if you kit has to be lugged up to the top of a 4- or 5-storey high Victorian building without lifts. For site use I do have a dozen or so cramp heads which fit onto softwood "bars". These can be very useful occassionally, but I don't carry them unless they are absolutely necessary because I can often make-up some quick and dirty panel clamps like these:

DIY Panel Cramp 1462a.JPG

Temporary Clamping 001_01.JPG

Those examples are clamping for pennies from semi-scrap materials. I'm not saying that they'll do for everything (they won't - I do have some heavy stuff for workshop use as well), but looking round the 'net it does seem that some people seem to have a bit of a fetish about clamps, especially about Bessy clamps!

BTW when I was referring to Solo clamps above I really meant the original British-made Cox variety - a lot of the cheap imported (Chinese) copies look similar, but don't work as well, nor are they as durable, so they are best avoided IMHO

Rather than argue about brands, I guess the real takeaway here is you really cannot have too many clamps.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back