Clamps for woodworking

If these are your first clamps, dont overspend on the bessey -they are good but OVERPRICED by a LOT!

get the irwin extreme pressure quick grip ones
41UgVx4h39L._SX425_.jpg

THESE ones, dont get any other irwin clamps but ONLY THESE! They are currently under 13pounds for one for smallest 30cm size, under 20 for 60cm but they are one of the best if not the best clamps you can get!
Watch on Youtube... I'm a really cheap person but even I think these are worth much more than the Money they cost. I use and abuse them on daily basis and there's nothing better you can buy for even 2x larger price.

Those eclipse clamps someone suggested looks like a toy compared to these...

Sponsored Links
I can thoroughly second never too many clamps rule.

It sort of depends on what your doing lots of. Making furniture, tables side tables chairs etc then sash cramps are very important. Small no structural glue up items quick clamps are great.

If you are planning on doing any laminating or bending then you really have to go to town...

I made a bunch of sash cramps as they are the most expensive ones. Just welded up sliding heads and a bolt to pin the bar and a welded nut and bolt to tighten.

It all depends on what you intend to do in the way of woodwork but I would only buy what you immediately need.

Just saying but:
If you have a bench then why not first try clamping up on the bench by wedging, and screwed down stops & hold-downs?
Use simple bits of off-cuts, & move and adjust them as needed.

FWIW: back in the day it was how we had to make box frames & sashes, and a half glazed gunstock door for City & Guilds C&J craft cert. No custom clamps or power tools were allowed.
Thank God that I never had to make a door on site.

I own quite a few clamps including bessey which are the best I own, but I was in wilco's recently and they had small spring clamps for 50p each perfect for when you have half a bag of cement left and I bought a couple of 6" speed clamps for £5 each which after using I went back and bought 4 more.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. I was looking at making small projects to begin with eg picture frames, toy boxes, planter beds etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back