Clanking Glow-worm boiler - DIY or Rogue Trader?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
New to the site and the world of boilers...so hope someone can advise.

I have a Glow-worm Fuelsaver 65F/80F (12-15yr old?), never had problems with it before, but it was re-sited (raised 4 ft) 1 year ago during a kitchen extension, and 1 rad replaced in top bedroom 6 mths ago. I think it is open-vented (there is a tank in loft if this helps).

It has been on HW only over the summer until yesterday when it started to clank and bang loudly, like someone had dropped a spanner in the pipes just above it. I switched off as soon as noises started, and have switched back on once and noises started again after 30secs or so, so it is now switched off.

Anything I can do diy (keen to give it a go), or do I need to chance my arm in the world of Rogue Traders?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Short of water, or pump stopped if fully pumped. Check tank in loft has water, drain some from drain cock on pipes and make sure tank in loft refills.

Pump - remove centre screw and either twist it or poke a screwdriver in and try to twist, may get pump moving. (dribbles)

COuld also just be air trapped - look for air bleeed point in airing cupd!

Obviously needs 5 visits from different plumbers to tell you 5 different things then a mega £2000.00 powerrflush then told you need it replacing, ooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrr, pump not working, main stat not working or no water in system, let us know how you get on.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back