Glow-worm Fuelsavers knocking

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Glow-worm Fuelsavers (the two instruction manuals left by the previous owner says 35F and 55F, and, 65F and 80F...if that makes sense) started knocking and banging a few nights ago (I was on my own at the time and thought someone was trying to break in!). We have a three story house and the radiators as you move up have been next to useless since we moved in. A few days ago (can't be pure coincidence surely?) I bled the radiators...a fair amount of air came out but no water which I had expected once the air was expelled. It didn't appear to solve the problem because even on full whack the rads from the first floor up are only warm at the bottom. I've just watched the black needle on the pressure guage on one of the boilers go down to virtually nothing when the noise starts....I have no idea what to do...can anyone help? Thanks v much.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you have a pressurised system which is low on water. Do a search on "filling loop", which is what you needto use to let some in.

Thanks ....is a filling loop easy to use? Thinking about it, you can really hear the water coming into the rads....so your comment about not enough seems to make sense.

By the way what a great website - I can't believe I just received a reply from Antartica!!

Sponsored Links
If your upstairs rads arent getting warm you more than likely need a more powerful pump.

Suggest you get a heating engineer to service the boiler and evaluate any changes to make the system run correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back