Glow Worm Fuelsaver 35F Woes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have a Glow Worm Fuelsaver 35F, its quite old but with regular servicing its been very reliable, that is up to now. Tuesday morning the boiler was turned on and the following was noted. Pilot lit straight away, continuous sparking but no main burner, extract fan running. I done a bit of research on this forum and made the following repairs. Resoldered all joints on PCB, (quite a few dry) WD40'd the extract fan, hoovered all the internals of the boiler, blew air pressure switch and tubes.Still the boiler is the same, it lights sometimes but its hit or miss. I did notice that a couple of times when I tapped the side panel the pilot would extinguish, re-light (would I be right in thinking that this is due to the air pressure switch doing what it should be) then sometimes it would work again. Also I can hear the solenoid switching very fast, 3 or 4 times in succession before lighting. Any information would be gratefully appreciated, moneys a bit tight at the moment hence the request.
PS: Can anyone tell me why this boiler has two solenoids, is it a diverse system?
Kindest regards
Dennis, Sunny Whitehaven Cumbria.

Sponsored Links
One is the pilot light solenoid, and other is main burner solenoid.

Basically your lighting sequence is as follows:

Fan operates
This will operate a/p switch
Power to pilot solenoid which opens
Spark igniter operates and ignites pilot
Ignition spark switches off and second solenoid opens.

Your getting to the last phase of the sequence, so this rules out fan, aps and tubes.

So, it can be electrode / loose electrode leads, blocked pilot jet effecting pilot flame picture or that good old PCB.

David

Thanks for the quick diagnosis David, and for enlightning me on the solenoids. I've just also noticed that the boiler main burn can inadvertantly switch of after only operating for a few minutes,(pilot stays lit) if left a while the main burner re-lights.

Just priced the PCB for this boiler, crikey :eek: anyone got a spare lying around.

Regards
Dennis

Sponsored Links
Just to update this post, the fault was the boiler PCB, upon replacement the boiler worked fine, up until the fan ceased a couple of years later ( see other thread) and recent problems, but that's a different posting.
Regards Dennis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back