Clarification on Garage Electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently running containment for the garage electrical installation which will consist of 4-5 double sockets and 2-3 light fittings.

I have done some searching on the subject but just want to confirm the following;

1) Lights and power can be run on a single radial circuit "Garage Power & Light"
2) Doing this is compliant with current regulation (most threads I have read are from a few years back)
3) Can the light switch be the final link in the radial or does it need to be linked via a fused spur?

With regards to the containment is it just the drops from the roof void that need to be protected and not the cable runs within the roof structure?

Thanks in advance for any help provided.

Sponsored Links
3) Can the light switch be the final link in the radial or does it need to be linked via a fused spur?
That depends on the overcurrent device protecting the circuit. IIRC the maximum permitted for a lighting circuit is 16A, so if your radial circuit has greater than a 16A protective device you will need to fuse down for the lighting part. You must also ensure that the cable and switchgear used is appropriate to the size of the protective device. In most cases it is simplest to use a switched fused connection unit as the lightswitch.
With regards to the containment is it just the drops from the roof void that need to be protected and not the cable runs within the roof structure?

That depends on the type of cable you are using. If you are using conduit singles, they must be entirely contained over their whole length because they have only single insulation. If you are using insulated and sheathed cable, such as T&E, you may use containment as you see fit for additional protection.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back