Clarification on Permitted Development laws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all...

I am thinking of building a summer house / garden pun in my garden, having read the permitted development policies of my local council I am a little confused, wondering if anyone can offer some clarification, either Frome experience or knowledge of the law itself...

I intend on building it within regulations, with a pitched roof. I understand that the height allowable is measured from the highest ground near the building, however, the garden next to the planned build area slopes upwards into the patch of woodland >40m up above the roof. Does this mean, that it cannot be built under PD because I wouldn't be able to get the 4m from the highest point on my land?

I've attached a rubbish sketch to hinder you all, and my neighbours on the west (left of the sketch) have a garden wall that is higher than the planned roof height of the development.

Attachments

• IMG_20220307_210227.jpg
    IMG_20220307_210227.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
Measure from the surface of the ground right next to where the summer house wall will be

As above, and you go 2.5m above the highest natural ground level at the perimeter of the building.
If you are 2m from the boundary all round, you can go up to 4m instead of 2.5m.
So if you dig out most of the bank and move it back you could have a 10m high building! Although not all planning officers would understand the rule.
If you build without permission then after 4 years it's permitted by default.
You can always apply for planning permission even if it wouldn't be permitted.
It's possible there is an"article 4 direction" in your area that removes permitted development rights, or you could be in a conservation area, so check that. Applying for a lawful development certificate would cost money but give peace of mind.
Good luck!

Sponsored Links
As above, and you go 2.5m above the highest natural ground level at the perimeter of the building.
If you are 2m from the boundary all round, you can go up to 4m instead of 2.5m.
So if you dig out most of the bank and move it back you could have a 10m high building! Although not all planning officers would understand the rule.
If you build without permission then after 4 years it's permitted by default.
You can always apply for planning permission even if it wouldn't be permitted.
It's possible there is an"article 4 direction" in your area that removes permitted development rights, or you could be in a conservation area, so check that. Applying for a lawful development certificate would cost money but give peace of mind.
Good luck!

Thank you, I've checked, there isn't anything that removed permitted development in my area,. I was just a little confused by the way it was worded 4m is plenty high enough for me, the way the policies are worded makes it sound like I couldn't build it because of the heoght. Obviously I was confused. I may see exactly how large I wish to build it in terms of square metrage and get the relevant permissions should I go above PD, do a little measuring, and spray marking before I make a start on some drawings.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back