Classic F.M

Sponsored Links
Henry Agard Wallace is a chap you've probably never heard of: VP to FDR during WWII he became a member of the President's war cabinet and presided over the Bureau of Economic Warfare (BEW), which was in charge of procuring strategically important materials. He'd been the Agriculture Secretary during the Depression on the strength of his experiments between 1913 and 1933 in breeding high-yielding strains of corn. In 1926, he created the Hi-Bred Corn Company, a firm which marketed the first high-yield, disease resistant corn for commercial sale. A great deal of his research led to The Green Revolution; the third agricultural evolution in human history, credited with saving billions of people from starvation around the world.

The Henry A. Wallace Beltsville Agricultural Research Center in Beltsville, Maryland, the largest agricultural research complex in the world, is named for him. Wallace founded the Wallace Genetic Foundation to support agricultural research. His son, Robert, founded the Wallace Global Fund to support sustainable development. A speech Wallace delivered in 1942 inspired Aaron Copland to compose Fanfare for the Common Man.

The demagogue is the curse of the modern world, and of all the demagogues, the worst are those financed by well-meaning wealthy men who sincerely believe that their wealth is likely to be safer if they can hire men with political "it" to change the sign posts and lure the people back into slavery. Unfortunately for the wealthy men who finance movements of this sort, as well as for the people themselves, the successful demagogue is a powerful genie who, when once let out of his bottle, refuses to obey anyone's command. As long as his spell holds, he defies God Himself, and Satan is turned loose on the world.

The Century of the Common Man (1942)

Whenever i hear this piece of music i still see the Charlotte Rhodes dancing along the whale's road, but this is how it was originally conceived...

Sponsored Links
Ive just bought an Echo show 5, its produces a surprisingly great sound, perfect for using as a radio alarm with classical FM as the station, my alarm is set for 6.15am and annoyingly its mostly adverts for the next 15mins Grrr

So long as it isn't the 'Vodaphone' ad', i can tune 'em out - but that voice just cuts right through my filter. They played 'Die Fledermaus' on the 'school-run' segment this morning and it made me think of the T&J 'toons...my introduction to 'high culture' had to start somewhere. :cool:

There's been many great entertainers who tickled the ivories: Scott Joplin, of course, but none better than...

"Franz Liszt? Never hoird of him.":D

Discovering music in antiquity was on BBC4, Sunday night, and if you did not take theopportunity to watch it, you can catch it on iPlayer or take a look here...

When a music score is uncovered deep within the storerooms of the Louvre, musical historians scramble to realise the potential of this piece of papyrus. The text's grammatical features give us a clue to the composer's identity: Carcinus, an author cited by Aristotle in his Rhetoric. His name is engraved on a wall in the Parthenon, and the story of his life offers an insight into the history of Greek musicians, who were revered like gods and welcomed across the Mediterranean to take part in competitions modelled on the Olympic Games.

The discovery of the papyrus, more specifically an ancient version of the tragedy entitled Medea, throws open a new mission by researchers to hear the music sung through modern arrangement. But to listen to the Medea as it was heard by the Greeks 2,400 years ago, it still has to be played on period instruments. From the Greek cities of Anatolia to the Ptolemies’ Egypt, from the mythical site of Delphi to the discoveries made in Pompeii, relive this voyage along the Mediterranean coast, where archaeological excavations have unearthed instrument remains.

Thinking of Liszt, you might like to play along with this version...

...but nobody can play it quite like the original maestro, who was known for his wild performance over 100 years before Little Richard was born. Lizst had to be given specially reinforced pianos lest they break under the force de majeure of his playing and the genteel ladies of Vienna were known to lob their cigar butts on stage in rapturous approval of his dashing good looks.

@Odds

Choral symphony. Just starting now BBC4. Barenboim.
Ah, no, did they do a good job of it?

I was in the middle of watching 'Master and Commander: the Far Side of the World'. Again. It never gets old, and i can't understand why it bombed at the box office yet audiences lap up endless sequels to Marvel movies. Baffling. Bach, Boccherini and battles to make your hair curl. Allusions to classic poetry and a diversion into the theories of Darwin being explored sixty years before he published Origin of Species...and two weevils.:LOL:
If you have not seen it i beseech you, sir, in the name of King George and the Lord Nelson, to watch it with great glee and wonder at the deeds of the Royal Navy when Britannia did indeed, Rule the Waves.

Sponsored Links
Back