Classic F.M

A good reprise of the movie 'Amadeus' with this version of the 25th - watch the Directors Cut, it's much better.

Sponsored Links
Shame about the setting, 'cos I don't think that was recorded outside, the reverbrations don't suggest it was.

Beautiful playing though.

It was certainly played in the forest, as you see at the end of the video...the perfect spot to tell the story of how a gypsy found a violin:

In a village in Transylvania lived a young woman. All the peasants knew she must be bewitched because, despite her beauty and rich dowry, no man would ask her to marry. She loved a young farmer but he was indifferent. At last she prayed to the Devil, who promised to help. 'But first,' he said, 'you must give me your father, your mother and your four brothers.' From the father's body the Devil fashioned a violin, from the mother's white hair he made a bow and from the four brothers the fiddle strings. 'Play this violin to your beloved/ he told her, 'and he'll follow you to the ends of the earth.' When she played the fiddle the farmer fell in love with her. Arm in arm the lovers were walking through the forest one day when the Devil stepped into their path. 'I have come to collect my dues,' he said. 'You have listened to the Devil's music. Now you must come with me to Hell.' And he instantly spirited them away. As for the fiddle, it lay on the ground until a ragged Gypsy happened to find it. The Gypsy is playing it to this day. Men and women still go crazy when they hear it, but only the Gypsy knows its secret.

Sponsored Links
It was certainly played in the forest, as you see at the end of the video...the perfect spot to tell the story of how a gypsy found a violin:

, but only the Gypsy knows its secret.
Doh! Now you've told everyone and 'It's no secret anymore' as Doris Day would say. ;)

Maybe played, and the video recorded in the forest, but I reckon the sound track was no way recorded in the forest.
If it was it must have had effects added.

But no criticism of the music intended at all.

Doh! Now you've told everyone and 'It's no secret anymore' as Doris Day would say. ;)

Maybe played, and the video recorded in the forest, but I reckon the sound track was no way recorded in the forest.
If it was it must have had effects added.

But no criticism of the music intended at all.
I'll assume it was remixed in studio when they got home.
It's a family affair, so nothing like the resources at the disposal of Pink Floyd.
Given the setting, though, how would you interpret the narrative of her performance?

A.A played the Fourth movement before 10a.m and since it's a rainy day it felt like a good time to play the whole damn thing for once.

It doesn't get any better than the Berlin Phil. directed by Herbert von Karajan. :notworthy:
Headphones on; volume up. Mind blown.

It doesn't get any better than the Berlin Phil. directed by Herbert von Karajan. :notworthy:
Headphones on; volume up. Mind blown.

Thanks, that's an amazing video. I've just been looking up when it was made. Apparently, Sony did it in about 1986.

A few weeks ago, I came across these videos, which appear to have been made during lockdown. There's another with 1 & 3, but only a small part of 5 is available. There's some great angles and close ups.

Brilliant.
When I saw Ukulele, I thought, God, not George Formby and his "turned out nice again". :oops:

But I really enjoyed that, especially the intro. I've always enjoyed and admired Morricone's work.

We palyed Speedy Gonzales recently, and as I was the only English speaker in the group, I got to do the speaking parts.
I didn't have it written on my part, wasn't familar with that number, and didn't know what was expected. So, the fist time through, they all looked at me for the speaking parts and I was dumbfounded. I thought my wig must have fallen askew, or something.
It was only looking it up later I realised what was expected.
I wish I'd seen the "alright, lovva" intro before, I would have improvised.

Brilliant.
When I saw Ukulele, I thought, God, not George Formby and his "turned out nice again". :oops:

I thought my wig must have fallen askew, or something....
Nothing wrong with George Formby: George Harrison was a big fan, so that's all good in my book.

You wear a wig; like Michael Fabricant?:cautious:

Intermezzo.

Air on a G string, gorgeous bit of music.

I saw the Jaques Loussier trio in UK in the late 60's, and this was one of the pieces they played.
I still like their style.:

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back