Classic yellow stain paint problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Long time no problems!

Searched the Internet and the forum. Specifically, I'm painting my ceiling with water based white emulsion. The ceiling is 'bobbly' textured.

The reason I'm struggling is because every problem I see online, their are already yellow stains on the ceiling. The ceiling I'm painting is already white (just not pristine) but with the application of paint, the wet painting is going from the wettish grey look, to yellow.

It's not patchy, and only yellows where the new paint is applied. The ceiling is on a ground floor extension, with patio entrance. The family who lived her for decades before us where heavy smokers. I'm thinking this is a nicotine problem, but the paint on the ceiling is white? Am I missing something?

Any help is always appreciated.

Sponsored Links
yellow patch usually results from a water leak.

Have you looked to see if the water leak is cured?

If it is, use a stain blocker. I'd guess that your water-based paint is dissolving the water-based stain and letting it through.

yellow patch usually results from a water leak.

Have you looked to see if the water leak is cured?

If it is, use a stain blocker. I'd guess that your water-based paint is dissolving the water-based stain and letting it through.

Inside, there is no sign of any leakage on to the ceiling. No moisture has been noticed in the ceiling for the best part of a year.

Whether it has happened in the past and they have painted over it, I don't know.

Just so I understand this correctly, their has perhaps been some type or leak or damp, they have used something to cover it, and the waterbased paint I've used has dissolved the previous layer? Something like this would make sense as the ceiling was white without any stains or marks, just a little dull as white paint can get over time.

I've known yellow and brown water stains come through new emulsion paint, though I don't recall seeing it happening on a ceiling where there was not already a visible stain. Perhaps they used some kind of permeable blocker or unusual porous paint.

If it was nicotine/smokers tar I'd expect it to be all over the ceiling.

Sponsored Links
If it was nicotine/smokers tar I'd expect it to be all over the ceiling.

Might be on to something. I was meant to say, I've only cut in around the edges of the ceiling, and it has happened everywhere I have cut in. I stopped there because it looks like it will happen all over the ceiling.

Use a stain block like Zinsser BIN or a cheap oil based undercoat first all over the ceiling. When dry paint as normal.

or go old school and wash it off with sugar soap.
We were renovating a house a couple of years back and the decorator told me we were going to have to Zinsser the walls and ceilings as they were all nicotine stained. I thought he was going to cry when I brought him back a couple of bottles of sugar soap, a bucket and a couple of sponges.
Don't get me wrong in the right context Zinsser is brilliant stuff and does exactly what it says it does, but there seems to be a n obsession with it nowadays.

or go old school and wash it off with sugar soap.
We were renovating a house a couple of years back and the decorator told me we were going to have to Zinsser the walls and ceilings as they were all nicotine stained. I thought he was going to cry when I brought him back a couple of bottles of sugar soap, a bucket and a couple of sponges.
Don't get me wrong in the right context Zinsser is brilliant stuff and does exactly what it says it does, but there seems to be a n obsession with it nowadays.

My first reaction was to get the sugar soap on it. Then I realised it is beneath the top layer of paint, so it would probably be futile.

Just looking at the price of these stain blockers! Bloody hell might just paint it yellow!

are you saying that the existing paint is fine and that it's only the new paint you are applying that is showing the problem up.
I would follow Robbie's suggestion and give it a go with some cheap oil based undercoat first. whatever you decide get a small tin first and test that it's working.
Are you using a contract or vinyl paint as maybe even a vinyl paint might solve your problem.

are you saying that the existing paint is fine and that it's only the new paint you are applying that is showing the problem up.
I would follow Robbie's suggestion and give it a go with some cheap oil based undercoat first. whatever you decide get a small tin first and test that it's working.
Are you using a contract or vinyl paint as maybe even a vinyl paint might solve your problem.

Yeah the existing paint is fine, just a bit dulled. Problem only appears where new paint is applied. I'm just using cheap white emulsion. Used the same stuff to mist coat and under coat the walls to a good finish.

The difference being the plastered walls had only over had paper on, so when I took that off, the walls where like new. The ceiling has got that bobbly effect, and if I was to guess by looking, it looks like it's had a good few coats.

Quick one; what's the difference between say, a contract and vinyl / emulsion?

The vinyl contains just that a vinyl resin, predominantly it makes the paint more hardwearing, but also has the effect of making it more water resistant too. Which might work in reverse and help block the stain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back