Clay pipes under new patio

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am replacing a concrete patio, and carefully removed the concrete and material, which has exposed all the clay pipes. I will be looking to replace with limestone paving.
So some of the pipes are close to the surface as you can see in the photo. The area is approx 35sq m. So I am thinking of covering the pipes with concrete to protect them.
The question is, would it be a good practice to cover clay pipes with 4" of sand and then concrete on top? Or just use concrete?
Obvioulsy will be using a wacker plate for the other areas for the subbase, but for the lower pipes, not sure what to do as dont wnat to compact with subbase above the pipes with concrete.
Interested to hear some advice or any experience in doing this? Many Thanks Chris

Attachments

• 20200826_180720892_iOS.jpg
    20200826_180720892_iOS.jpg
    664 KB · Views: 308
Sponsored Links
If you are laying the concrete patio over this area then they are protected anyway

Hi, I am replacing a concrete patio, and carefully removed the concrete and material, which has exposed all the clay pipes. I will be looking to replace with limestone paving.
So some of the pipes are close to the surface as you can see in the photo. The area is approx 35sq m. So I am thinking of covering the pipes with concrete to protect them.
The question is, would it be a good practice to cover clay pipes with 4" of sand and then concrete on top? Or just use concrete?
Obvioulsy will be using a wacker plate for the other areas for the subbase, but for the lower pipes, not sure what to do as dont wnat to compact with subbase above the pipes with concrete.
Interested to hear some advice or any experience in doing this? Many Thanks Chris

Chris pop some sand and pea shingle just over the pipe runs. When laying the sub base mark out the pipe runs with some stakes and string so you can avoid packing down too hard when using the wacker plate. Maybe an idea to scrap away the dirt and double check the pipes for cracks and leaks now while the ground clear anyway too.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back