Clay Soil - best way to improve drainage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Alongside my house is a little patch of garden (2-3m by 3m or so) which has a pavement running alongside it.

Investigating another issue (internal damp) I have found that the clay content here is very high and as I dig down some test holes (approx 60cm or so I estimate) the ground is damp but having left the holes they do not fill up with water. However I put 4L or so of water into one of the holes at lunchtime today and 3.5hrs later there is still quite a bit in the bottom!

Most of what i dug out appeared to be wet clay, rather than earth or soil.

Assuming the area is like this, is there something I can do to help with general drainage? Eventually I would like to use the area to grow veggies etc (not sure what).

Thanks
Mike

Sponsored Links
Thanks - will look into that

The 4L I put into the hole was still present (slightly) 8 hours later. That seems pretty poor to me but it may be normal for all I know.

Going to drive a spike into the bottom of the hole to see how far the clay goes.

Thanks

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back