Clay Toilet collar leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

New here, wanting to know if there's a possible repair I can make to the collar of my toilet waste, 1960s assume original? Clay, there's two collars one below floorboard which is leaking and the other above which connects the toilet

Every flush, waste water seems to splash out the top of the collar and pretty much cover the rest of the pipe underground, wanting to repair if I can before the bathroom Reno

Attached an image to show said collar, and when flushing the obvious flow of water and direction, assume the blue residue on the water pipe is Bloo toilet cleaner

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240119-214100~2.png
    Screenshot_20240119-214100~2.png
    529.4 KB · Views: 42
Sponsored Links
Do you have a clearer picture showing the toilet and its connection to the waste shown

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't try and repair that, if you've reasonable access then replace the damaged section in its entirety.

Sponsored Links
Do you have a clearer picture showing the toilet and its connection to the waste shown
Surely must be a temp repair possible?

Attachments

• PXL_20240120_080803636.jpg
    PXL_20240120_080803636.jpg
    378 KB · Views: 34
If you are able to dry out the joint and then use a mortar to fill out the join, that may work in the short term. Another solution may be a polymerised wet grab like a silicone adhesive but it is a fudge and may not last, it should be properly repaired.

It's a ache as assume I'd have to cut above first collar(toilet) and below the other and fit plastic in-between, or cut it below collar and fit a new toilet onto existing clay, but again toilet cistern hasn't got iso valve so extra work there to

Surely must be a temp repair possible?
As above, also take the opportunity to add an iso valve now so you can concentrate on replacing the clay/wc should that become necessary later. It takes the pressure off if you have another wc.

It would be a bit of work yes, but that would sort it for now and for the future so it's best all round, in the long run
So try silicone the collar for now‍️
Not your ordinary silicone sealant, would be a waste of time.

A high grab polymer silicon adhesive like wet grab, CT1, OB1, Serious stuff, etc and wear gloves, get it all super clean, wire brush and dry and then leave it a good 24hrs to set before using.

If you're happy to bodge it, then any of the suggested options would be worth a try, personally I'd wrap Denso tap round it. Just bear in mind though what is leaking out of it, under your floorspace....

I suspect the reason its leaking is due to slight movement having cracked the joint open, there's no flexibility in the old salt glazed pipework, adding in a bit of plastic will allow for any future movement.

If you're happy to bodge it, then any of the suggested options would be worth a try, personally I'd wrap Denso tap round it. Just bear in mind though what is leaking out of it, under your floorspace....

I suspect the reason its leaking is due to slight movement having cracked the joint open, there's no flexibility in the old salt glazed pipework, adding in a bit of plastic will allow for any future movement.
Thanks , yes the smells not great every flush for bout an hour, a need a temp fix for approx 4 months till bathroom is ripped out, so maybe a poly based adhesive in the cleaned joint for seal and movement then il denso it?? Looks like there's been slight gradual movement as it's ok the **** a little

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back