Cleanest Fuel about To take Off??

Reaction score
Country
Palau
I recall watching a car show on tv where they were testing a hydrogen-powered car this was several years ago.
They cited the lack of filling stations at the time possibly 4/5 around England and the price of the cars.

Looking at alternatives to the massive diesel cars we have and the dislike for EV cars, I found this and hoping Merc/Porsche/Audi soon join the affordable cars as the marque in the link is not for us.

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/nexo

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/nexo

Done a bit more research just now re filling stations and the latest is:

http://www.ukh2mobility.co.uk/stations/

Not many more.

Why are they not taking off - is it because of the likes of the oil producers possibly paying backhanders to car firms??? Not sure why!!!

It could "take off" I guess it all depends on the green mob supporting this or is the gov wanting most to buy eV cars as they did with diesel when the numbers are sufficnent they will big up hydrogen cars???

Sponsored Links
There are 2 stations within 2 miles from me.
Next year mr khant said i have to scrap my 2 beautiful beasts for a prius.
Maybe i'll go hydrogen.
The flipping khant!

I'd go Hydro in a jiff if there was a station nearby. But our nearest is Sheff.

I would as well but the price tag for the Hyundia. We spend a lot more than that on a car but it is a lot more car.

Why has it not taken off?

Apart from the filling stations - servicing may be a problem as well.

Sponsored Links
Once you get over the fact that they don't go vroom vroom, there really isn't much to dislike about EVs. I have a fairly nippy diesel (3l twin turbo) and it feels archaic compared to a moderately powerful dual motor EV.

Once you get over the fact that they don't go vroom vroom, there really isn't much to dislike about EVs. I have a fairly nippy diesel (3l twin turbo) and it feels archaic compared to a moderately powerful dual motor EV.
It's the myth sold to the prius lovers.
I destroyed this myth in my friend's mind when I left his tesla model 3 at the lights with my "moderately powerful" 3.0L V6.
The figures they release on paper are not real figures.
Mine only does 0-60mph in 4.8 sec.
His blood stained plastic box is sold with a fake figure of 3.5 sec. or thereabout.
Fake!
More like double that.

hydrogen is only cheap and useful as a by product that goes to waste to convert it on its own uses far far more energy than an electric car off the same requirement

The problem with EVs' for me is a 200mile trip I do from time to time. mixed motorway, A and B roads. Then I want to do miles there and 200 back. Obviously the trip there and back is done as quickly as possible. I can do that on a tank of fuel with a bit to spare. More spare according to the grade of diesel.

Hydrogen is seen as the answer to HGV's and trains that are currently run on diesel. It's main problem is production costs. In the past I believe prototype cars have been produced running on it with a conventional engine. There was interests in metal hydrides that gave off hydrogen when heated. Might be down to safety concerns. At the correct stoichiometric mix it's classed as a super high explosive. It burns to fast to be of little practical use as an explosive. It can blow lead acid batteries up though. Personally that aspect has to be compared with petroleum fumes but suspect it's worse.

Production costs though. I wonder how efficient latest EV batteries are. They heat discharging and charging at a rate determined by the current levels., Hydrogen fuels cells may last longer, maybe be cheaper to produce. All sorts of unanswered questions.

Last edited:
Reading the posts here

EV cars - yes, I guess you could adjust to it but the figures re accelerations etc, hard acceleration uses a lot more battery power and correct me if I'm wrong, most EV's you can only kick-down or whatever they call it in EV cars about twice in quick succession I saw on tv you need to wait a while for the battery to spread power or something.

I love the music of the V6, especially the Jeep we had years ago a Grand Cherokee it had all the toys inc dvd and two-tone steering but awful mpg.

The Hydro cars cost a lot more like for like than even the EV cars. Lacks filling stations, service stations. I'm not sure if any problems related to hydro cars and the endurance of these drive units.

To me, someone big is holding hydro cars back just like Sky with the massive satellite dish and worse picture quality that the 'Squairal' dish I think it was called and this gave you HD tv and much smaller dish but sky had more money so we were left without proper HD tv for years. Then you may recall the VHS and the other smaller tapes but VHS won. What I'm saying is though hydro cars appear certainly better for the environment it is not in the interest of the big boys atm.

Sponsored Links
Back